xxi. is piper subtle? spoiler alert: she's not

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE ───────────
✧₊˚。({  IS PIPER SUBTLE? SPOILER ALERT: SHE'S NOT  })

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE ───────────✧₊˚。({  IS PIPER SUBTLE? SPOILER ALERT: SHE'S NOT  })

" people watching CONAN GRAY "

{ ROMA }
JUNE 25TH, 2010
──────────

ROMA CAN SEE HIM. SHE can see Jason. The wind ruffling his hair and the purple cape he wears makes him look like a tiny superhero from afar. In that moment, she really is reminded of Superman.

          There's another blonde beside him. Presumably Annabeth. Even from this far away, she can tell that she's pretty. It's as though she's not wearing a shirt the color of nose-wrinkling orange and brown shorts that stop midway down her shins. She feels like Elora, dissecting this girl's outfit. But the fact that her beauty shines even through these obvious fashion flaws has Roma's insides shrivel up in annoyance. For some reason. The only good thing Roma knows about that girl is that she's a daughter of Minerva━or Athena, whatever. And Roma, as a Roman, knows exactly what most people here think of that goddess.

          Percy steps a little farther to the right than she anticipates and he ends up walking right into her. His arm is around her shoulders for some unknown reason. She feels like she's carrying some drunk dude home.

          "Would you stop acting like an idiot for two seconds? I know it's basically your only personality trait, but it's really annoying right now," Roma tuts irritably.

          "Anything for you, Romy," he replies cheekily.

          Roma tries to ignore the weird feeling in her stomach at those words and focusses on the annoyance also building in her chest at the fact he called her Romy. "Oh no, you coined Ro, I'll let you use that. But don't ever call me Romy or I will hurt you."

          He sighs dramatically and rolls his eyes. "Fine, Ro."

          "Uh, it looks like they've stopped," Frank says from behind them and they both look up to see that he's right. The ship has stopped in midair. Probably Terminus's doing.

          When they reach the forum, a rope ladder has been lowered down to the ground and four people are in the midst of climbing down. Two blonde, two brunette. Roma has a knot in her stomach and briefly looks at Percy's arm still around her shoulders and can't help but think of what Annabeth thinks of his touchiness with her. She thinks of what she would feel if she were in the other girl's place and glances at Percy irascibly. Surely he knows what he's doing? Or maybe he's just that stupid.