Redemption

Months went by as Robin and Regina made wedding arrangements. They weren't trying to rush into anything, but they were so organized that it all seemed to fall into place.

Although she was busy with work, all the help Snow was providing at the office gave her more opportunities to find a venue and hire the necessary people to make the wedding a success. She even involved Snow in the wedding plans, knowing it would make her happy.

"I really appreciate your help, Snow," Regina said one day as the two sat in her office finalizing some last minute paperwork. It took her by surprise to hear her stepmother showing any gratitude toward her.

"Of course. I'm just so happy you're finally getting the happy ending you deserve," she said with a smile.

Regina walked forward and sat beside her stepdaughter on the couch. She handed her a quarter with a smile.

"What's this," she asked.

"I owe you a quarter. Your hope speech that night when we were going to save Emma from giving up her magic."

Snow remembered with a laugh, holding the quarter to her heart.

"I'm sorry I was never the mother you needed me to be," Regina said, genuinely. She often thought about how things might have been different if she had chosen the light over the darkness. Snow took her stepmother's hand in her own.

"Watching you with Henry and Roland is enough for me," she said. "You were in a lot of pain back then. You're human and we all make mistakes. If I'd been in your position, I might have reacted the same way. But it's behind us now and I can honestly say you're the friend I need now."

"Thank you," Regina said, happy to have finally gotten that off her chest. What she had to do next was going to be even more difficult. She wasn't sure it was the best idea, but she felt in her heart it was the right thing to do.

"Snow, would you mind finishing up here? There's something I need to take care of."

"Of course," Snow nodded. Regina gathered her things and went on her way.

She made her way to the basement of the hospital. After the notes were found, they transferred Isaac to another cell on the opposite end of the ward. Regina stood in front of the door for a moment, unsure if she was ready to do this. She gently pulled the door open and stepped inside, closing it behind her.

Zelena sat curled up on the bed, looking up at the window. She looked dreadful. Her hair was matted and her clothes were stained. Her eyes were red, most likely from crying.

"What do you want," she scowled at Regina.

"I came to tell you that Robin and I are getting married," she said, tense in her place near the door.

"I'll be sure to send a gift," Zelena spat.

"I'm not here to gloat."

"Then why are you here, sis," she asked through gritted teeth.

"That's just it, Zelena. You're the only family I have left," she said honestly. "I know you've been through hell. We both have. And I want to be able to trust you, to give you the second chance I was given. I want you to find your happy ending like I've found mine."

"How do you intend to do that?"

"I don't know yet, but I'll figure out a way. I just need to be sure you're willing to seek redemption. If I take this chance on you and you hurt any of the people in this town, I will kill you, Zelena. And you can be damn sure of that. But if you actually try to find goodness in your heart and allow yourself to find the happiness you've always wanted, then I will help you."