The Awakening

Regina slept for a few hours while the anesthesia wore off. She finally woke up to find Robin sitting in a chair with his head resting on the bed. He was still holding her hand in fear of letting her go. She smiled and ran her fingers through his hair gently.

He woke with a start, nervous that something was happening. He looked at his soulmate as she stared back at him lovingly. He sighed with relief and kissed her hand.

"How are you feeling," he asked.

"I'm sore from the surgery, but the pain from earlier is gone. I'm really thirsty," she said licking her lips. Robin stood up and took the cup of water from the tray. He held it out in front of her so she could drink from the straw without having to move. When she was finished he placed the cup back on the tray and went back to holding her hand.

"Robin, I'm okay," she whispered, trying to reassure him.

"You weren't," he started. "I thought this was it, Regina. I thought today was the day I would lose you forever."

"But you didn't. I'm right here," she replied, squeezing his hand.

Robin nodded as his ocean blue eyes stared into her chocolate brown ones. She smiled and he couldn't help, but follow suit. Her smile was contagious.

"Did the doctor tell you exactly what happened to me," she asked after their brief silence.

"He did," he said and swallowed hard. He knew this wouldn't be easy to tell her.

"Oh no. How bad is it," she felt her heart skip a beat.

"Regina, my love," he began. He looked at her face, worry growing rapidly upon it. He had to tell her. They had to talk about this. He continued, "You were with child."

Regina froze, clearly in shock. That was impossible. She was infertile. She knew this for a fact. It wasn't possible for her to have children.

"What happened," she asked with tears in her eyes.

"You had what the doctor called an ectopic pregnancy. The baby was growing in your Fallopian tubes and your body couldn't support it."

"I miscarried," she finished for him, tears streaming down her face.

"I'm so sorry," he cried with her. He helped move Regina over so he could lay next to her. He pulled her close and they cried in each other's arms, mourning the loss of their baby.

"How did this happen? I took that potion. The effects are supposed to be permanent," she said through her tears.

"I thought maybe you would know the answer to that," he replied.

"I wish I did. I looked for spells and potions that could reverse it years ago and never found anything. It doesn't make sense."

"After you've regained your strength, we'll look for answers together," he kissed her forehead.

"Gold might know," Regina said. "And Belle always has her nose in a book. She could have found something in her years of reading that could help us."

Robin nodded and continued to hold her.

"A baby," she whispered. "We were going to have a baby."

"It's unbelievable," he whispered back with a smile and he knew she was smiling as well.