Chapter 1: 5 years ago (Edited)

*Trigger warning Abuse and threats*

Mara

My best friends and I are at our first college party. We just graduated high school so we are about to start college at the Ohio State University.

Now if someone would tell me that I would be going to college in the most bipolar state ever; I would have laughed but I here I am finding myself in Ohio at their state school because I was lucky enough to get a scholarship.

I recently purchased a house, just after my 18th birthday my mother passed and I decided to us my inheritance on a house then have my noisy brothers and sisters in my business.

One of my older siblings paid my mother's house off and now that is where they are living with the rest of my siblings.

The house, I bought, is a two story colonial with an adorable wrap around porch, the rooms aren't too big a nice size master bedroom with an equally sized bathroom, it has two more bedrooms on the top level with another full size bathroom on the main level, A office space just off the living room and open floor plan that has a nice view of the kitchen.

It had recently been updated to more of a modern look, if it wasn't I wouldn't have bought it. Nesta, Kendra and Jess are helping me move in today.

They are helping me move in as Josh "helped" but apparently had to do something for his dad. So much for him being happy about this as he was on his phone all last night as I tried to talk to him about the future. I swear I could see he was texting another woman.

Emotions have been high since I can't the image of her limp body out of my head. I still see her face every time I close my eyes all I see is her green eyes turned grey.

That is why I had to get out of that state, moving to Ohio is the fresh start. No one knows me around here so the sympathetic looks from everyone around my home town won't follow me here.

My brother Ryan started last year at the same college I helped him move as my mother couldn't take time off. I may have been eyeing some of his teammates on the hockey team but they don't date bigger women like me.

"I still can't believe that you just bought this house so close to the university that we will be starting next semester" Nesta says.

"Yeah, I happened to find this it beats living in the dorms" I say to her as Jess brings in another box.

"Well your missing out with us, but hey that just means now we have a house to throw parties at. Let alone all the man candy that will be running past since this street holds the athletes. Since it is so close to most of their practice areas" Jess says.

"Well I don't think so. I rather not be harassed about the communal spaces. I also hate the idea of walking to the showers to see people fucking in them and we all know that happens even though it's against the rules" I say.

"Well your no fun. Come out with us the womens hockey team is throwing it so both teams will be there. You can't miss all the hot hockey men" Kendra says as she sets my couch in a different spot that it was a second ago. This time the couch is against the far wall then before where it was against the windows.

"How many more times are you going to move that back to the same spot?" I ask while laughing. Kendra, Jess, and Nesta burst out laughing with me.

"I don't know" Kendra says as she starts putting the tv on the stand. After another two hours of moving boxes in and setting up the whole house we put the last of the dishes away in the cabinets.

"Soo come on Mara, I know your brother will be there but that doesn't mean that I haven't noticed a certain teammate of his that keeps purposely jogging slowly past here. Or the way you look at that certain teammate. I also swear I saw him come out of next door this morning" Nesta says.