12

third person

today is the first game of the entire season. today the lions are playing the philadelphia eagles and everyone inside the locker room is a mixture of excitement and nerves. lots of players are excited because they will be making their nfl debuts but at the same time they are also nervous.

avery enters the lockroom and starts making sure everything she needs is there in case an injury occurs on the field. avery jumps when she feels a head be lighly placed on her shoulder. she relaxes when she is face to face with aidan.

"oh, hey hutch, you scared me" avery says grabbing her heart.

"sorry, i didn't mean to scare you" aidan says sort of embarrassed.

"i just really wanted an avery campbell hug before the game" aidan leans down and hugs her.

"are you nervous for today?" avery asks. "sorry that was probably a dumb question to ask" avery continues.

"i'm terrified" aidan nervously laughs. "on a scale from 1 to 10, i'm definitely at shitting my pants."

"hey, you got this hutch. i believe in you, all these boys in the locker room believe in you. your family believes in you. go out there and show them who aidan hutchinson really is" avery smiles.

"thanks aves. i really needed that" aidan says finally feeling calm for the first time all day. he takes a deep breath and walks away.

"thought you could give out free hugs without rodrigo knowing?" malcolm comes out of no where and gives avery a hug, avery happily accepts the hug.

"you nervous too rodrigo?" avery asks.

"a little bit, it's more of excitement though" rodrio smiles.

"well you go out there and you show everyone who you are made of" avery encourages.

"ok, my turn." jared pushes rodrigo out of the way and hugs avery.

"what is this love hour? i'm not complaining" avery laughs.

"i just wanted an avery hug for good luck" jared pouts.

"i have to head out to the field, good luck boys." avery waves and walks out of the locker room and onto the field.

⟵⟶⟵⟶⟵⟶

it's the end of the third quater now and the lions are down by 17. the score is currently 38-21. coach campbell reminds them that they can't just lay down and die, they need to put in a fight and try to come back from behind.

d'andre swift, a running back for the lions, just had a good run and now the team is first and goal. jared hands the ball off to jamaal and jamaal makes it in for the touchdown. the extra point is good so now the score is 38-28.

the offense runs off the field and the defense runs on. avery can't help but stare at aidan. jared seems to realize as he lightly pokes his elbow into avery's ribs.

"stop staring at his ass and pay attention" jared teases, causing avery to go red.

"i'm totally paying attention" avery tries to play it cool.

"yeah, and i landed on the moon" jared laughs.

"whatever" avery rolls her eyes while laughing as well.

luckily defense stepped up to the plate and didn't let the eagles score. the offense is back on the field trying to score again with 12: 36 left in the 4th.

"let's go boys" avery says cheering them on.

⟵⟶⟵⟶⟵⟶

the lions ended up losing, 38-35. but avery was proud of them for coming back after being down 17 points. avery knows it was a hard first loss of the season, but she also knows that the boys will evaluate their loss and that it will fuel them even harder for a win next week.