F O R T Y - F I V E

"I'm sorry to inform you this, Taehyung, but it seems like you've had a miscarriage."

Those words made the omega's world stop spinning.

His face paled, lips vigorously trembling. At this point, he wasn't even breathing. His beating organ shattered to pieces.

He.. miscarried?

He was pregnant?

Jeongguk's eyes widen, immediately glancing over towards his little one. His wolf whimpers in his chest, heart dropping to his stomach.

"N─no..." He eventually manages to breathe out, words slipping past his lips quietly.

He starts to shake his head left to right, repeating the same word over and over again but louder each time until the point came he was screaming.

The alpha holds him tight, engulfing his small frame whilst pressing his own eyes shut.

"I'm so sorry for you guys. It's probably caused due to either the stress, the punches to the stomach, or it could even be the effects from the wolfsbane. Those residues might've been toxic and induced harm before I got the chance to give him the medication." The healer smiles sadly at them, sighing.

"I'll leave you guys to process your loss. If you have any questions, don't hesistate to ask."

Jeongguk nods, watching the wolf go.

"Darling─" He tries, but gets interrupted.

"N─no! I─I can't! I want my baby! Where's my baby?!"

The alpha bites on his tongue, a few tears slipping past his own eyes at the omega's frantic antics.

"Taehyung, you heard the healer.. You've had a miscarriage. I'm so sorry, love. You'll be alright, I know you will be."

The omega shakes his head, disagreeing to the fullest. He sobs out, voice hoarse.

"No! I won't be! I─I didn't even know I was pregnant! If I did, I would've been more careful! It's all my─ my f─fault!"

Jeongguk's alpha whimpers, having no idea how to get the other through this. He releases calming pheromones, trying everything in his power to comfort the younger.

"Darling, listen to me, shh, I got you. I promised to take care of you, and I will. I will. Trust me when I say you'll be alright.." He whispers in his ear, pressing kisses to his skin.

Taehyung chokes on his sobs, having trouble breathing at this point. He didn't even feel his wolf anymore, for it was shut down due to grief.

"I─I'm sorry, alpha.." He attempts to say, causing the elder to frown and pull back to look at him in his face.

"Why the hell are you apologising, Taehyung?"

The omega takes rough breaths in, his face entirely soaked. He hiccups, trying to get the next sentence out,

"Y─you've been suh─so perfect for me, and what you got in return is a─a defect omega! T─there's nothing I can give you in r─return─"

He starts breaking down all over again, shattering the alpha's heart.

"God, love, no! Don't ever say such horrific things! You're all I want, having you is more than enough. You're perfect, Taehyung. With or without pups! Don't worry, I'm here for you. I'm sure we can try again in the future if that's what you wish, hm? Please, stop crying, it hurts seeing you like this.."

Taehyung trembles, gripping the alpha's shirt. He takes deep breaths in, trying to calm himself down.

He knows the alpha has been right all the time. Every word, every promise─ he didn't always believe him then, but he'll try his best to believe him now. He has faith him in.

So, he calms down, whispering a quiet
"I love you.."

Jeongguk wipes a stray tear of his own, pressing thousands of kisses on top of his omega's head.

"I love you too. Gosh, I love you so much.." He responds immediately, trying to forget the previous heartbreaking sight. But he fears it'll be imprinted on his mind forever.

────

The days after were like hell. The omega refused to get out of bed, barely eating or drinking anything at all.

Jeongguk sticks closely to his side, trying his utter best to reassure him he'll be okay.

With every day that passed, Taehyung slowly started improving. He started eating a tiny bit more, even getting up to go downstairs every now and then.

The alpha couldn't be more glad, knowing his mate is slowly starting to feel better. It takes long, but that's what he expected. The events he had gone through have been traumatic for him.

He's struggling too, it's hard on them both. But he knows one of them has to be strong in order to pull the both of them through it all. He has to be strong for his omega.

"Hey pup, do you want to come outside with me today? It'll be good for you.."

Jeongguk smiles gently at the other, internally cheering seeing Taehyung nod in agreement.

"Great! Come on, I'll take you." He scoops the male up bridal-style, causing him to giggle a little.

Once outside, the alpha spins them around, trying to get more and more happy giggles from him. He has missed those so much.

He gently puts himself down on a treelog, holding onto Taehyung's waist.

"Pup, I made you a promise a while ago. Do you still remember what it is?"

The omega glances at him, nibbling on his lip as he thought about it.

"That you'll take care of me, always?"

Jeongguk smiles, shaking his head.
"I did promise that, but that's not what I'm currently referring to."

"That you'll love me forever?" Taehyung whispers, getting a little shy. He hugs himself closer to the elder.

The alpha chuckles, "I promised that too, yes. And of course I will. But that's also not what I meant,"

Taehyung frowns in confusion, silence taking over them for a moment.

The warm sun shines upon his skin, his locks swaying a little with the wind that brushes past them.

"I promised you I'd consider letting you mark me back, didn't I?" Jeongguk grins, glancing up to see the reaction.

The omega gasps softly, eyes widening.

And seeing those hopeful, shimmering eyes, the alpha knows he made the right decision.

"You may, darling. Whenever you want. Show others what belongs to you, alright?"

And who would've thought, Taehyung's wolf suddenly awoke, those words stirring him back to life.