F O R T Y - F O U R

The alpha had been right.

They indeed were doing okay, for as far as that goes.

Two days after the incident, Taehyung was stunned to see that the pure blood had healed almost perfectly. The only thing that remained was the absolute terror, his wolf had been terrified of losing his other half.

As for himself─ he is doing decently. Jeongguk forced him to stay in bed, wanting him to heal completely before even standing up to grab a glass of water for himself.

His throat and lungs are still damaged because of the amount of smoke he inhaled, but slowly and surely he's starting to get better again.

The alpha is currently out, went to go hunting since there was nothing left to eat. He had told the male to mind link him at all costs, needing him to stay in bed at all times.

Taehyung just spoke to his worried best friend, informing him that he's doing fine. To his utter surprise, his parents even reached out to him again.

The omega didn't share much, only the necessary details since he didn't want to make them worried. Right now, the only thing that's important is healing and focusing on his mate's well-being.
After that, they can start thinking of how to tell his parents.

He sighs, closing his eyes shut. He can still feel the hot fire around him, sweat layered on his skin. The way his lungs squeezed in his chest, the sickening smirks of the two wolves who caused it all.

Suddenly, he jumps up in bed, getting out hastily and dashing towards the toilet because the sudden images and memories made him nauseous.

He mentally apologises to his alpha for getting up, gripping the bowl tighter.

His skin feels sticky again, hair strands stuck to his forehead and face pale. He coughs a few times, bending over for the nasty part.

He slumps down on the floor, panting. His wolf whimpers, eyes welled with tears. He only hopes his wolf refrains the feeling to immediately go to his mate, not wanting to make the other worried and let him know he's unwell.

His eyes start to droop, tiredness consuming him wholly. Before he knew it, he was pulled into a slumber, right there on the cold floor.

────

Jeongguk gallops in his wolf form to the high grass, after picking up on the scents of a group of deer.

He ducks down, crouching towards them and picking one of them.

About to jump forward, he pauses his actions at another scent flooding in.

He growls, leaving the deer behind and walking over to where it was coming from, after changing back to his original form fully clothed again.

"I told you to stay the fuck off my territory." He shoots a murderous glare towards Seokjin.

The beta trembles, gulping. Not so tough anymore now, huh?

"I'm aware. I came to see you. You finished off your part of the deal, Eun-Sook is back with us, safe and well,"

Jeongguk continues to glare at him, not even blinking as he watches him step closer.

Seokjin sticks out his right hand, staring back daringly, trying to keep himself composed.

"After all these years, the deal is over. I won't get back in your territory and I know I won't see you in mine,"

The alpha just continues to stand, not bothering to speak up or take the hand. He just gives a sturd nod.

"Hope you learned your lesson now, pure blood." Seokjin spits, referring to the 'dead' omega.

He drops his hand and turns around to go back home, halting, but not looking back around when the alpha speaks up.

"If I ever see your face again, I won't hesitate to kill you."

Seokjin's shoulders shake, a foul laugh escaping his throat.

"Good. Exactly what I expected from you. Once a killer, always a killer. It's the only thing you're good for."

Jeongguk glares at his disappearing figure. With a sigh, he turns around to go back home. For the first time in his life, there's someone waiting for him there, after all.

He simply figures he'll go hunting later tonight, no longer in the mood.

When he arrives, he closes the door behind him and smiles fondly at the thought of Taehyung upstairs.

"Pup, I'm home!"

He frowns slightly since he got no response, feeling on-edge.

Taking big steps upstairs, he was about to walk towards the bedroom, but stops noticing Taehyung's scent is the strongest in the bathroom.

"Darling, didn't I tell you to stay in bed?" He sighs, knocking on the door.

No response.

"Love?"

Silence.

He immediately opens the door, eyes widening at the sight of his mate passed out on the cold tiles.

"Taehyung!" He worries, bending down and hoisting him up in his arms, putting him back in bed.

He was about to put the blanket over him, when a new odour hit him that made him freeze on the spot.

His wolf claws at his insides, his hands trembled as he lets go of the bedsheet, eyes trailing downwards.

To his abhorrence, blood starts to paint the omega's sweatpants crimson.

"Taehyung, wake up!" He gently shakes the male, starting to hyperventilate.

The submissive slowly regains consciousness, feeling as if he just woke up from actual sleep.

"Love, you have to mind link Jimin, now. Instruct him to send the pack's healer here."

Taehyung frowns deeply, about to ask why, when pain shoots through him. He hunches forward, yelping out.

"It hurts!" He cries, eyes wide in horror seeing his bloody pants and feeling blood leak out of him.

He immediately does as the alpha commanded, trying to hide away and seek comfort in the male's broad chest and words.

"Gosh, I should've been here, doll. Alpha's so sorry. Guess I didn't pick up on your unwell-being since I met Seokjin on the way. Fuck.."

Jeongguk tugs on his own locks, caressing the omega's face and gently patting his back, pulling him impossibly closer.

Taehyung violently shakes in his hold, tears cascading down his cheeks.