Chapter 23

Marks POV:

"What the fuck are you doing with my sister?" Jac questioned. He was extremely intimidating, but he wasn't rough looking. He wanted to make sure his sister was ok, and not being raped or something like that.

"We found her in a shelter, with all her stuff. Including memories of you." Ruby's mother started to tear up. "She wanted to see her friends and find escape the apocalypse. And we want to get back to America, actually..." I paused. "Her friends are in the same state I live in with Jack." I spoke.

"Hmm..." Jacks spoke. He murmured with Ruby's mum for a few minutes. Each murmur missed my ear completely each time. They seemed uncertain at times, smiling and frowning at the same time. They avoided all eye contact with me. Until they finally made our decision.

"We have come to a deal." Jac and Ruby's more spoke.

"As we are still not living, we are not able to fully look after Ruby and her friends. We cannot be seen by anyone Ruby doesn't know. We are simply invisible." They paused. "Seeing as the other parents are dead, we are authorising you to take her home, and take her to an adoption agency. All of them." They said sternly.

"Agreed." I shook him firmly at the hand.

Jack interrupted our hand shakes. "I hear you are specials?" He said. Jac immediately jumped over to the table and pinned him against the wall. I ran over to jack, trying to take control of the situation, but the threw me on the ground, making me unable to use my lower arm.

"How the fuck do you know we're specials?" He pressed jack harder to the wall as his face turned bright red. I could hear his heavy breathing from across the small room. Ruby's mum looked like she was going to die. Her face had dropped completely, and she knew there was nothing she could do.

"We're specials!" I yelled partially in pain and frustration. My arm felt like it was searing inside out. A fire of pain sparked and burnt my arm heavily.

Jac turned around to look at us in a more relax manner, loosening his grip on jack but not letting him go.

"What specials are you?" He snapped sharply. He still wouldn't believe us until we proved it.

"I'm a red mist," I winced in pain once more. "Jacks the sun." Jac completely lost his grip of Jack and let him fall to the floor. Jack coughed and spluttered crimson liquid from his mouth as he clutched his chest in pain. Jac slowly went back to his seat.

"Y-your from the prophecy..." He said astonished, "but then... Where's the moon?" He wondered. Ruby's mum put her hands to her head and closed her eyes. She opened them again swiftly and nodded to Jac.

"I don't know where he is." I said "neither does Jack." We didn't know where Darksep is, but we knew who he was with. But they don't need to know now.

"I trust you." Ruby's mum said.

"What?" I said.

"I trust you. You are not mortals, which is a good point. And If you have been noble enough to get her out of that rotting wasteland, get a decent boat, nourish her, heal her, and feed her and her friend... I trust you with my daughter and her friend. But please... Call me Josie." She bent down to me and looked at my arm. She slowly rubbed her hand up and down my arm and the pain drifted away. She did the same to Jack.

"So what special are you?" I said as Josie assessed jack.

"Well... Since we... Y'know... Died, we got given an extra power, healing. My original power was Weather. Mums was mind powers. She was able to move stuff with her mind and able to read minds and stuff." Jac said with a tiny smile on his face.

Once we were all healed, we headed out to the deck. Ruby and Alex were out there sewing or threading something. Ruby noticed us and ran over to her brother and her mum.

She held a necklace in each hand. One was a dark chocolate leather necklace with a golden clip. There were red, blue and green wooden beads on each side of the peice. In the middle was a small, mosaic glass tooth. She opened it up and displayed In it were her mum and her. One was them in matching dresses, the other, Ruby was on her skateboard.

He other one was a fine, silver chain with a silver clip. Small white gems were threaded onto the chain neatly. In the middle was a bright blue gem that shone in the evening sky. Inside the gem was a picture of Jac and Ruby, with their penny boards. The other was of Jac and Ruby in a base they had built in Jacs bedroom. Seeing Jac was 24 and Ruby only 12, they seemed like a very close brother and sister.

"I want you to promise me something." She his the necklaces behind her head.

"No matter where you are, or what you do, always remember me, always love me, and I will do the same to you." She said, tears brimming in her eyes.

"We promise!" She embraced the, and gave them their necklaces.

"Ok, just to ruin the mood and stuff, why have you got rainbow hair when you parents don't?" Alex said giggling.

"I dunno really. I always liked pastel rainbow, but I dunno." She said as we walked into the bedroom.

We all settled down and slept. Except me.

I just can't shake the feeling something bad is gonna happen