Chapter 18

Marks POV:

"We need to get out of here." I explained, "there coming from an eastern direction, we need to get back to LA." I finished. This was bad. We were gonna die if we stayed any longer.

"They're miles away!" She exclaimed, the gargle of the dead echoing in the distance. "Anyways, You can't." Ruby sighed heavily. Wiping the rotten blood off her face.

"Why can't we leave?" I started to panic. The only way we were gonna survive is by getting out of here.

"The UK is under quarantine. No one is allowed in or out until we have had a antibacterial cleanse." She mumbled.

"Well, let's go have one!" I said cheerily! We could actually leave this hellhole!

"You can't. 1) they won't open up the cleansing points until all zombies are dead. 2) we don't even know where these points are and 3), we specials... Are allergic, and I mean SEVERELY allergic to antibacterial substances." She groaned. I didn't know this. "The only way we can get out of here is if we fly out when the borders open again." She paused "my wing hasn't healed properly anyway..."

"Well? When do the borders open then?" I said quite impatiently.

"About 2 weeks time." She fiddles with the small, lilac purple bracelet on her arm, the beads made of silver, a letter engraved in each spelling 'I love you Ruby'.

"Where'd you get the bracelet?" Jack asked, trying to cheer her up and change the conversation.

"My mum gave it to me just before she died. She said 'I'm leaving now, I'm gonna be someone that's going to hurt you. But always remember that I love you, and I will always live on through you heart.'" She stammered uncertainly. "I have a locket." She opened the locket, revealing several pictures of people. "The upper right one is my mum and my bother with their wings and powers out. It's a really nice photo because it just shows who they really are. The upper left is my Nan and Grandad. They were about 80, and they don't really ever use their powers anymore, but they do make a nice cuppa tea." She paused to take a deep, steady breath. Her tears were starting to prickle her eyes. "The lover right one is me with with 4 of my friends; Abbie, Zoe, Emma and Phobe. It was just us on the beach but I love it. And the last last one is me with the rest of my friends; Issy, Elissa and Fred. We were playing video games and Fred took a selfie. It's probably the only photo I look good in." She sniffled and tears started to run down her cheek. Jack hugged her and comforted her.

"Sh, shh." Jack comforted, "my parents always told me that if they were to ever die, they would find a hole in the clouds and watch me as I grew up. I'm sure your mum and brother and everyone else would rather get stabbed than not see you down on earth. They are sending every bit of luck they can right now. And you know that they will always love you and live on in your heart." Jack pointed to Ruby's heart.

She pepped up a bit. "We need to escort you to the local base. It's the most secure place where there are no infected survivors. There's a 5 year supply of food that's expiry dates have been extended, just because the UK have learned to be able to keep food preserved longer. There's a direct waster supply. Washing facilities and some beds, but... Don't expect anything... Too glamorous. This is the apocalypse, keeping clean is not our main priority around here."

"Well, me being the awesome surgeon I am," Jack boasted. "I can mend you wing, and Mark can teach you to fly, but mending it is gonna hurt."

"It won't hurt that much." She said "at least it won't hurt as much as the pain in my heart..."

---------------------11----------11---------11--------11-------11-------11-------1

I though a backstory chapter was in order a bit! Just to keep you entertained!

Snazzypanda56