Chapter 29

I walk inside Preston's house, like I've done it a thousand times. I walk straight to the kitchen and turn the sink on. Then I emerge my head in the water and it's the only thing that's felt right all day.

Then I walk upstairs, straight to Preston's bedroom. He's not in there but I hear the shower running so I just sit on the bed. My phone buzzes in my pocket and I reach to shut it off. 2 missed calls Dylan, 1 missed call Junior. 12 texts Dylan, 4 texts Emily, 2 texts Junior.

I turn my phone all the way off and focus on the water dripping from my hair. It entices me in a way it shouldn't, but I took way to many pills.

"Holy shit," I hear. I look up and see Preston holding a hand over his heart. "Babe, I did not expect you to be here yet,"

"Is it raining, why is your hair so wet," he asks when he comes to give me a kiss.

His phone buzzes in his hand and then he looks up at me. "Why is Dylan calling me?"

"Oh, my phone died, I'll answer it," I say and take the phone into the hall bathroom he just left and pretend to be on the phone for a few minutes.

I return with his phone off but luckily he's on his bed and doesn't pay much attention. I put the phone on his desk and sit in the desk chair.

"You never answered my question, how come your hair is soaked," he asks with a chuckle.

"Um, I took a shower before I came over,"

"Really, because my mom saw you in the kitchen,"

It hadn't occurred to me that his parents could of been home. I was so out of it, I didn't care.

"Oh,"

"Baby," the way he says it is so calm, it makes me fall in love with him all over again. "What happened before you came over here,"

"Can I have a hug,"

There are several different people when they take pills. I am always the severely emotional one.

"Baby you never have to ask,"

I crawl onto the bed and cuddle into his arms.

"I just feel so alone,"

"You never have to feel alone when your with me, I'm here always,"

"Preston, someone is here for you," we hear his mom call from downstairs.

I immediately put my hand to his mouth to muffle anything he might have said.

"We can't be here right now,"

I don't miss the massive amount of concern on his face but I try my hardest to ignore it.  "Okay, we can go out through the kitchen, no one will see us,"

I'm not sure I buy that since his parents saw me in the kitchen ten minutes ago but I still agree.

Luckily, there is nobody in the kitchen and it's a semi-easy escape.

"How am I supposed to get to my car?" Preston whisper asks.

"Forget it, come on," I run through the backyard as fast as I can and climb over the small fence. It's really small, so it's not like I'm doing anything physical.

We run behind the neighbors house and then Preston starts to climb up an old tree house.

"Are you nuts, this thing is about as stable as Juliana when she tries to walk,"

"Nobody's going to find us up here," he says it in a way that has fear in his eyes. He's scared for me.

So I turn and climb up the scary ladder into the even scarier tree house.