Chapter 21

I see him across the yard. I'm at some random party held by some random student. I was only here because this is where Preston agreed to talk. I had to apologize and make peace with my side of the situation.

When I reach him he's holding a beer in one hand and his phone in the other. He looks up at me and keeps the same look on his face. As if he had no emotion towards me right now.

"I was starting to think you weren't going to show," he says.

"I was a little skeptical myself," I say sitting in the chair beside him. It is winter so I'm very confused as to why we are outside in the first place.

"You want something to drink,?"

"Oh, I'm not drinking tonight," I didn't feel comfortable drinking near him anymore.

"I didn't mean alcohol, there's water too," he says.

"Oh, well I'm good, thank you though,"

"Listen, Skye. I shouldn't have said what I did. I was just worried and you didn't need that. I'm sorry, I truly am,"

I fully take in what he's saying. I'm not sure how to respond yet because I don't feel ready to forgive him yet. Mainly because I'm not ready to forgive myself yet.

"I hurt you, and for that I'm sorry. But I'm not sure how to proceed. You know, I love you and not in a friend sort of way so how do I approach this. I'm not sure, it's an impossible situation. I think we should just take some time apart for now," it pains me to say because it's already been a week and I've missed him so much.

"If that's how you feel, I'll respect it," he says reluctantly.

"Yeah, I should get going. There's no reason for me to be here anymore," I say walking away and dialing Dylan. I rode here with Marcus but he's with the football team somewhere hitting on a bunch of slutty girls.

It's kind of degrading to be a girl and call another girl slutty. You had to see these girls though, everything they had was hanging out. Anything to be noticed by the football team.

Dylan doesn't answer and neither does Junior. Probably with their girlfriends. I was happy for them but also a little lonely.

"Hey, you okay? you need a ride," I hear someone ask behind me.

She approaches me and I don't know who she is but she looks extremely familiar.

"Do I know you," I ask?

"We met a few weeks ago, you were drunk so you probably don't remember. My name is Cove,"

"Oh, yeah, I think I remember a little bit of that, not much but I remember thinking what an interesting name that was,"

"Ha, yeah my parents went crazy on the names. So, you need a ride. I haven't been drinking and I was just about to ditch anyway,"

"Uh, yeah that would be great, thanks," I say.

We get in the car and I tell her the directions to my house.

"So how come I've never seen you at school before," I ask.

"Oh, I don't go to your school. My boyfriend does but he's hanging out with his friends so he's going to have to get a ride home with them, I just saw you looked a little panicked and figured you wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible,"

"I didn't even want to come here, I was just meeting someone but my brothers failed to answer the phone when I was ready to go home",

"Oh, well I'm glad I could help," she says, and soon after she pulls into my driveway. My brothers stand in the front yard each with a beer in hand.