Chapter 26

26.5 hours. That's how long it look for our family to travel from point a to point b.

"Oh my God, I can finally breathe - your body spray is so strong," Marcus says practically leaping out of the van.

I know there's no way he could be talking about me. I put on bath and body works spray an hour ago, and if you know; you know.

"Calm down," Dylan says throwing a hand up at Marcus.

Everyone gets out of the van and starts stretching.

"Alright, I'm going to check us in, wait here - Junior come with me," Dylan says and looks at us for a second making sure everyone complies.

"Ohh, a vending machine,"

"Didn't Dylan say to wait here," Preston calls after me.

"Possibly,"

"What is it about a vending machine," I know he wants to point out the fact that I don't even eat healthy food.

"I don't know," I look to make sure everyone else is out of earshot. "When I was younger, Lorelei used to take me to this store. It was in the mall, I don't know what store it was though. There was this vending machine outside of the store, it had led lights and pretty designs all over it. Every time we would go to that store, I'd ask for fifty cents just so I could experience using this machine - she ignore me every time, until one day, she looked at me and I got so happy because I thought she was going to let me but she yelled at me. She called me names, and shamed me for wanting junk food. I looked at her and didn't say a word and when I got home I told my dad, my real dad, and he gave a dollar in quarters - so I could get whatever I wanted, now that I have my own money, something about vending machines just makes me want to buy a bunch of junk and not feel ashamed,"

He looks at me with sympathetic eyes but doesn't get a chance to say anything.

"Skye, get your tail over here now," Dylan says from the hotel door.

"Oooo, someone is in trouble,"

I give him a nice middle finger and keep walking to Dylan.

"I told you to stay at the van, anyway you booked the hotel and didn't give me the stuff,"

"Oh, I emailed it to you this morning, and put a printed out copy in your suitcase as well as one in Madeline's purse,"

"Very well," he says walking back to the front desk pulling out his phone.

"How are you so on top of things,"

"I'm not usually, but I figured someone has to be,"

"Dylan let you book the hotel?" Madeline asks.

"Yeah, why wouldn't he? I'm responsible enough,"

She doesn't respond. I'm sensing an attitude I don't like. I cut her some slack though because we did just spend almost 27 hours in a van with seven people.

The sun is starting to come out, it's about 6:15 so it's also cold. My sweats don't do nothing for my legs, they shiver more and more each second.

Preston puts his hand up the back of my shirt and onto my lower back. Which, of course brings instant warmth.

"Don't do that,"

"Why not," he whispers into my ear.

"Because I like it way to much,"

"That's the point,"

I grab his hand and force it off my back.

"Not in front of my family,"