3: Ava Valentine Who?

I climbed cautiously down the balcony, feeling my way down the entire time.

“Ouch!” I gasped, having just pricked myself for the ninth time on a thorn. Damn rose bush. Why can't I just have magic glasses, like Geordi La Forge from Star Trek (Don't ask how I know). But it'd be cool. And way easier. I decided I must be close to the ground, so I jumped. And kept falling.

Guess I'm not. . .

My feet finally hit the ground, only to fall over on my butt. “Ooff!” was my only comment.

I got to my feet and brushed off any dirt on me, then headed towards the general direction of the back wall. There I would climb over it, avoiding the horrible spikes on the wall, and be on my way.

Pro and cons of being blind:

Pros; you have an excuse for running into people, people are nicer

Cons;you can't see where your going, you can't see what you look like, you can't see anything.

Yep, so sneaking out while being blind is sort of hard. I scaled the wall, only getting a few scrapes on my hands and knees. After I was over, I ran for it. But after a few steps, I tripped over. . . a rock? If anyone asks, I was there first.

I pushed my sunglasses higher on my face and tightened my coat. It was about six PM and my parents had gone to some charity ball, so I'll be gone and back by the time they get home. I had trudged down the hill the mansion sat atop when a I gave up and took out that dumb stick I had bought with me. Thank God it folds up.

So I tapped my way to the city with my mom's credit card in hand. Now I really look like a blind person.

-----X_X-----

I was wandering the city, alone and cold. But I was excited. I could hear all the cars passing, people talking and laughing, the sirens in the distance. And I kind of expected it to smell like gasoline, asphalt, and urine. It was loud. Smelly. And the air tasted horrible. And I can't start to count how many people had ran into me or I ran into something. I avoided the cars, because I sort of want to live. I walked slowly, with my hands a bit stretched out, using my weird sixth sense I have to sense when somethings to close. I couldn't use that blind person stick anymore because some bastard fell on it. And more than once someone banged into me and then yelling at me to watch it. I thought they'd be nicer.

I loved it.

At least I was out and about instead of locked up in my house.

I suddenly felt the cold steel over the city, and the smell of ozone joined in the Scent Fiesta. A storm was coming. Then I heard the booming noise of thunder high in the sky and I felt rain falling, like ice-cold needles piercing me. Crap. I heard people start to retrieve into stores or pull out something to shield them from the rain.

I released a frustrated sigh and shuffled to the sound of a door opening and closing. Hopefully, it's a women department store or a spa.

Instead I was met with the smell of warm bread and sweets, wet people and. . . dinner.

Ignoring how embarrassing this would be, I tapped a passing girl's shoulder (judging from her light fruity shampoo, and swishing ponytail), “Excuse me, we're am I?”

She stopped, probably looking at me funny, then she said in a pretty soprano voice (further confirming that it was a girl), “Um. . . Corner Bakery? Are you okay?” she seemed concerned.

I giggled. “Yeah. I'm okay. Spectacular really. Could you point me to the counter?”

“Um. . . over there?” I heard the slight rustle of her shirt sleeve as she pointed.