2: Out To The Wild Steel City

"I sense there's something in the wind

That seems like tragedy's at hand

And though I'd like to stand by him

Can't shake this feeling that I have

The worst is just around the bend"

I sang softly to myself. I may be blind, doesn't mean I can't sing. I had sqeezed myself into a tight nook, just small enough for my slim body to sit in. I hated it when Great Maw Maw comes over. She always pinches my cheeks hard, her fake nails digging into my skin, and telling me in that fake accent of hers "Poor darling!" she'd yell, thinking I'm deaf, too, "such a horrible tragedy to such a young, pretty, girl!" So I hide. Seems childish but I just don't want to face Great Maw Maw and her sickely sweet perfume and horrible comments.

"And does he notice my feelings for him?

And will he see how much he means to me?

I think it's not to be

What will become of my dear friend

Where will his actions lead us then?

Although I'd like to join the crowd

In their enthusiastic cloud

Try as I may, it doesn't last"

"Ava! Darling! Were are you? You no Mummy doesn't like it when you wander off like that!" I heard Mother call from the stairs. “Great Maw Maw has come to see you! And she bought the most adorable dress imaginable!” she continued to squeal.

Dress? Hell no. . .

And will we ever end up together?

No, I think not, it's never to become

For I am not the one”

I sang softer to myself. I heard Mother's 4 inch heels clack noisily up the stairs, each clack making me flinch from the sudden sharpness of noise. Find another hiding space, and fast.

I uncrammed myself from the nook and ran for it, only running into 3 corners and one vase, which I managed to save from a horrible death. All I heard was the soft pad pad pad of my slippers hitting the floor, my labored breath, Mother's High heels and constant calling, and the wind from outside from and open door.

Open door?

Ohmygod! Did Sammy forgot to close the back door? Yes! Mother and Father hate it outside! And they think I can't find the back door anyway!

So I quickly retrieved outside, fumbling around the wall looking for the door. Hwen I did, I slammed it shut.

“Ava! My you've grown so much! And how did you get out here so fast?” I heard a familiar nasally voice say behind me. Aw crap.

It was Great Maw Maw.

-----X_X-----

“Is there any lipstick still on my face?” I asked Julia three hours later in my room.

“A bit on your forehead,”she said. “Here.” I felt a cold cloth rub against my face and Julia's warm hand holding my chin in place softly. “All gone!”

“Thank God. I thought that'd never end,” I said plopping my self half-cautiously on my bed.

That would,” she corrected for me. I heard her scoot my desk chair out to sit in front of me. “If you don't mind me asking, but what happened?”

“Ugh the usual,”then I mimicked Great Maw Maw's nasally voice, “you've gotten so big! And poor dear your so thin! You need to eat more! And so pale! But still stay inside because we don't want you splashed all over the news like Miley Cyrus. You don't want that.”

“Then why were you guys outside?”

“They thought I needed more Vitamin D.”

“Which I'm going to have to agree. You do look a bit pale.”

“I have no clue what your talking about so there's no use in arguing over this matter.”

Silence. “Oh I'm rolling my eyes at you Ava.”

“Good for you.”

“And I saw that gorgeous white dress they put you in.” She giggled.

“Oh God that was the worst part. They put me in a dress! A dress! I hate them! They just make me feel all open and vulnerable. And that one was the dress of all dresses. It was poofy!”

“Well I could see why you hate them. You can't see how beautiful you look in them,” she argued.

“Don't you dare tell me that I can't see! I know! And just stop it how I look! I don't give a rat's ass about how I look! That's the least of my problems!” I hated yelling at Julia.

“Well, sweetheart. Its true! And please calm down. Stressing out over little things like dresses. You won't actually have to wear them!” she said, oddly calmly. But I detected a bit of shakiness hidden behind her calm tone.

“That's the problem!” I shot up, surprising Julia. “I won't have to wear them because I'm not going anywhere! I'm going to be locked up in this hell hole, blind and alone until I'm an old, old lady!”

“Sweetheart,” Julia said, standing too, “please its okay-”

“No its not! I want out!” I shot back angrily, “just- just get out. Please.”

“Ava-”

“OUT!”

I heard her shuffle out sadly, then closing the door softly behind her.

I hated arguing with Julia. She was the only person I could confine, too. And I hated it. Not her, just hated that I had only one friend, and she wasn't even my age!

I wandered to my open window, looking out to the setting sun. Oh, I wish I could see it. But I could only feel the warm rays washing over me as it set into the hills, disappearing until tomorrow when it would rise again for another day.

And will we ever end up together?

Ohhhhhhh

And will we ever end up together?

No, I think not, it's never to become

For I am not the one”

I sang, finishing the song.

I don't care how dangerous the world is. I don't care how horrible mankind is. All I care is that I'm there. I can't see the world, but I sure as Hell can hear, smell, taste and feel it.

“Tonight, I'm going to say hello to the world,” I whispered as the last of the suns rays disappeared, replaced by the cold radiance of the moon.