Chapter 16

I smiled at my father, who was busy interacting with our other relatives. 

The party just started, and I feel like my heart is going to explode because of the effort my father has allotted for this.

It was something new to me. Like him, doing these kinds of things has weirded me out.

"Happiest birthday, Rie!" Ashley exclaimed and ran to me to give me an embrace.

I groaned fakely and rolled my eyes.

"You've said that a hundred times.." natatawa kong sinabi.

She smiled widely, and her eyes twinkled.

"Are you hungry? I'll get you food." I said.

Umiling sya agad.

"Later na! Oh, I almost forgot, this is my gift for you, Rie!" she said that and handed me the small pink paper bag that she was carrying.

I chuckled softly.

"Thank you.." mahinang sabi ko bago iyon tinanggap.

"Hindi na nakapunta sila mommy may biglaang flight kasi, but I'm with my brother!" she said and I just nodded and smile.

"Speaking  of that jerk nasan na ba 'yon?" aniya bago lumingon sa paligid.

Bago pa man sya magsalita ulit ay nakita ko na ang lalaking naglalakad papunta sa direksyon namin.

He's handsome.

My eyes darted at him. His gaze landed on me. He lifts the corner of his mouth.

"Nasaan na ba 'yon?" naiinis na tanong ni Ashley.

I sighed.

"He's behind you, Ash," sambit ko.

Ashley's eyes widened and she turned to face her brother who was already behind her.

"You jerk! Saan kaba nagsusuot? I told you to stick with me!" hiyaw nya sa kapatid.

I gasped.

Mas lalo pala syang bwisit sa kapatid nya sa personal. Akala ko'y biruan lang nila 'yon. Hindi ko inaasahan na totoo pala.

Sa gulat ko humalakhak lang ang kapatid nito.

"Shut up, brat. You're not my mother. Stop nagging me." mataman nyang sabi.

Natawa na lang ako ng sumimangot si Ashley.

"Umupo muna kayo, Ash," sabat ko.

Nakuha ko naman agad ang atensyon nito at lumapit kaagad sa akin para umangkla sa braso ko.

"Okay, Rie! Kuya sumunod ka na lang, huwag ka na namang lalayo!" banta nya sa kapatid pero 'di na sya pinansin ng huli.

Tinapik ko sya para suwayin at naglakad na kami papunta sa table kung saan naroon ang aking kapatid.

"Ashley.." Ate Salisha called.

And of course, that's my sister, Ashley shrieked and withdrew from me. I just chuckled. Ipagpapalit talaga ako kay ate.

"Ate Salisha! Good evening po," she greeted.

Nilingon ko naman ang kapatid nya at nakitang nakatutok sa akin ang atensyon nito.

I smiled at him. Tinignan ko ang kabuuan nya at isa lang ang masasabi ko napaka simple nyang manamit. He's wearing a maroon polo shirt paired with black pants and white rubber shoes. He's also carrying three paper bags in his hand. The two were medium-sized paper bags, and the other one was large, if I'm not mistaken.