Chapter 19: Little Girl

As promised, Malaya kept visiting Snape's office. Despite his denial, she had a hunch he was enjoying her company. He began allowing her to borrow books from his office and they would discuss them after she read them. She walked into his office without knocking on Halloween, slamming the book down on his desk. 

"What are you supposed to be?" he asked, looking her up and down.

Malaya looked down at her costume. "A bunny." She was wearing a corset with fishnet tights, bunny ears and a tail. She painted her face slightly to resemble the animal. "It's for the dance. Can you really not tell?" She frowned. 

Snape pinched the bridge of his nose. "That's insulting to bunnies." 

Malaya eyed the glass of wine of his desk. "Celebrating early, are we?" 

"It's been a long day," Snape sighed. "I didn't think you would be here considering the holiday." 

"Teachers still give homework on Halloween," Malaya said. "Also, I wanted to give you back your book. What the hell was what? Why would you tell me to read something so sad?" 

"It's called a tragedy," Snape said, tossing the book into a pile behind his desk. "It was meant to make you think." 

"Well it made me depressed," Malaya said, slumping into an armchair. "Give me something happier." 

Snape sighed and stood. He walked over to his bookcase, peered at his books carefully, then pulled out an old leather-bound book. He handed it to her. 

Malaya ran her finger along the binding, observing the book as Snape sat back down. "Are you all right, Professor?" 

Snape was quiet for so long, Malaya thought he hadn't heard her. "I am not," he said simply. 

Malaya chewed the inside of her cheek, surprised that he answered truthfully. "Do you want to talk about it?" 

Snape looked at her, eyed her bunny ears, his eyes lingering down her costume. "No." 

He took a sip of his wine as Malaya watched him. 

"Whatever it is, I'm sure you're doing the best you can," she said. 

"That sounds like something you'd say to a five year old," he remarked. 

"You have a lot in common with 5 year olds." Malaya pursed her lips to keep herself from smiling. "Thought it would have a similar effect." 

"Well it does not." 

Malaya shrugged and opened the book he gave her, beginning to read. 

"I thought you said you had homework," Snape said. 

"I finished it," Malaya answered without looking up. 

Snape thought about questioning this, but chose not too. He didn't really feel like being alone. 

They worked in silence for almost an hour when a knock sounded on the door. Snape told them to enter and they did, Malaya never looking up from her book. 

"Malaya," a familiar voice said. 

Malaya looked up to see Lucius. "Oh. Hi Lucius." 

"Don't tell me you have detention," he said playfully. 

"No, I'm just reading." 

Lucius glanced at Snape briefly then looked back at her. "In Severus's office?" 

"Yes." 

"Why?" 

Malaya shrugged. "Dunno. It's peaceful in here, isn't it?" 

Lucius looked at Snape for an answer, but Snape simply shook his head. "I've tried getting rid of her. She is like a leech." 

"That's probably the nicest thing you've said to me," Malaya said. 

"That wasn't meant to be nice," Snape replied. 

"I know." 

"Malaya, this seems inappropriate," Lucius said, annoyance flickering across his features. 

"Inappropriate how?" she asked. "I'm literally sitting here and reading. That's it." 

Lucius's jaw twitched. "Can't you sit somewhere else and read? There are tons of places in the castle to sit." 

"What is your problem?" Malaya asked, slamming the book shut. "I'm not doing anything wrong." 

"I know how you are," Lucius shot back. "I know what you're doing." 

Malaya stood and Lucius saw her costume, his eyes drifting down her body, desire clouding his vision. Malaya crossed her arms. 

"You don't know me," she shot back. "And you don't control me." 

"You are under my supervision," he said. "You will obey me." 

"You're being unreasonable!" Malaya shouted, anger boiling over. 

"You are in no position to judge my decision, Malaya. You will do as I say." 

"Will I?" Malaya almost laughed. "Why are you treating me like a child?" 

"Because you act like one!" Lucius said. 

Quiet filled the space between them as Malaya processed this. "Am I now?" she finally said. 

"Yes, you are," Lucius muttered. "Ungrateful little girl." 

"You're an asshole, Lucius," Malaya said quietly. 

Malaya strode passed him, opened the office door, then turned back to look at him. 

"Maybe you shouldn't fuck little girls, then," she said before slamming the door shut.