Chapter 4: Punishment

Malaya walked down to breakfast the next morning, her head pounding and her body aching. She found Draco sitting at the long dining room table, his face buried in his hands. 

"Where did you go last night?" Malaya asked, sitting down next to him. 

He rubbed his eyes and looked at Malaya. "I just went for a walk." 

"I couldn't find you," Malaya said as a house-elf appeared from the kitchen beyond this room and placed a cup of coffee in front of her. "You were gone for over an hour." 

Draco said nothing. He gripped his earl grey tea, allowing the hot mug to warm his hands. 

"Was it something Blaise said?" she asked.

"Can you just let it go?" Draco snapped.

They locked eyes and Malaya was about to argue back when the door to the dining room swung open. Lucius walked in, taking his usual seat across from Draco. A dark-haired woman walked in after him, her skin pale and her eyes wild. Her curly and untamed hair bounced with every step.

Lucius met Malaya's eyes briefly and she looked away. She could feel her cheeks begin to burn. She wasn't sure what had happened between them last night, but she had felt a strange attraction to him. She hoped it was simply the alcohol fuelling her desire. 

"This is Bellatrix Lestrange," Lucius said, gesturing to the woman who was now sitting beside him. "She's my sister-in-law." 

The name sounded familiar to Malaya but she couldn't place her. She smiled and nodded at the lady. 

"This is the student Cissy has told me about?" Bellatrix asked in a high-pitch voice. When Lucius nodded, she smiled in a way that sent a shiver down Malaya's spine. "Pretty little thing, aren't you?" 

"Bellatrix," Lucius warned, "enough. She isn't here for you to play with." 

Malaya caught Draco's eye and he looked bored. 

"She's been staying here for a little while." Lucius looked like he really wasn't thrilled about this. 

"Oh, how come I haven't met you before?" Malaya asked.

"I've been away with-" 

"She's been away on business," Lucius interrupted Bellatrix and she rolled her eyes. "She's back now and it is likely that you'll run into her now and then so I thought I should introduce you both." 

Malaya nodded. "Where's Mrs Malfoy?" 

"Away visiting family," Lucius said. "She was quite upset you didn't go with her, Draco." 

Draco didn't respond, he simply shrugged. 

Malaya pursed her lips together and grabbed her coffee. She stood and the chair legs scraped against the ground. "I think I'll take this in my bedroom. It was nice meeting you, Miss Lestrange." 

Bellatrix opened her mouth to speak but Lucius interrupted her again, as if he was afraid of what might come out of her mouth. "Actually, I'd like a word with you, Miss Hansley." 

Malaya reluctantly followed Lucius through a series of hallways, until they reached a couple of glass doors on the second story. Lucius opened one of them, gestured for Malaya to walk through and followed her, closing the door behind him. 

They were on a balcony that looked out into the front of the house where a large, black fountain sat. Lucius took a seat on one of the outdoor chairs and Malaya took her own seat, a wooden table between them. 

Lucius reached into his pocket and withdrew a carton of cigarettes. He lit one and began smoking. 

"I didn't know you smoke," Malaya observed.