Chapter 30: Blackmail

As everyone but Narcissa predicted, Draco turned up in the early hours of the morning. After Narcissa weeped and Lucius scolded him (to which Draco shrugged in response) they allowed him and everyone else to go to bed. 

The next day, late into the afternoon, Malaya awoke, got dressed and went straight to Draco's room. She knocked then let herself in. 

Draco was sitting on his bed, reading. Malaya closed the door and sat on the other end of the bed.

"You caused a lot of trouble last night," she said. 

Draco kept staring at his book, but Malaya noticed his eyes weren't moving. 

"Your mom was really worried," Malaya said. "And honestly, so was I." 

"I left a note," Draco said stiffly, not looking at her. 

"Speaking of that note... what did you see, Draco?" she asked cautiously. 

Draco said nothing. He continued to gaze at his book. 

Malaya reached over and took the book from him. 

"Draco," she said as she tossed the book onto the bed. "Please talk to me." 

Draco sighed before standing up and walking to his desk. He opened a drawer, grabbed something from inside and tossed it to Malaya. She caught the newspaper and looked down at the front page. 

There was a big picture of Lucius, Narcissa, Draco and herself. They were smiling at the camera as if they were a big, happy family. Partygoers were dancing in the background, swaying to music Malaya couldn't hear. The headline read: Traditions Continue: Ringing in the New Year at the Malfoys. 

Malaya looked up at Draco, raising her eyebrows. Draco nodded to the paper and she looked at it again. 

"It's cringe, but I don't understand what you're-" 

"Turn the page," he said. 

Malaya flipped to the next page, where the article continued. She wondered how they could write so much about one party. There were a few other pictures here; a couple waving and smiling then turning to kiss each other, the band on stage focused on playing and tapping their feet to the beat, and the final picture was an overview of the party where guests were swaying and eating. 

"I don't-" Malaya's face fell as she peered closer to the overview. Standing with their backs to the camera were Lucius and Malaya, his hand extremely low on her back. Lucius was standing straight, then dipping his head low to say something into her ear, his side profile clearly visible. 

"I went back to the party," Draco said. "And saw that." He paused. "You said it was over." 

"It is over, Draco," Malaya said. "I didn't tell him to put his hand there." 

Draco shook his head. "You can say no-" 

"Where did you get this paper?" Malaya interrupted. 

"We get one every morning," he said. 

"The party was literally less than 24 hours ago," Malaya said watching Lucius's hand drop over and over again. 

Draco shrugged. "I know what you're thinking, but I grabbed it before my mother could see-" 

"You only receive the one?" 

"Yes," Draco answered. "But I suppose she might see-" 

Malaya was up on her feet, the paper clutched in her grasp. She stormed out of the room. 

She made her way to Lucius's office, not bothering to knock. 

"Luci-" 

Malaya stopped when she realized someone else was in the room.