Episode 31: A Shirker's Call To Action: Shikamaru Breaks the Chain!

As the team approached the woodland, nine men in two teams began chasing them from behind.

"It does not appear that they have figured out our genuine stance yet. But they're closing up on us swiftly and keeping an eye out for any surprise strikes," Pakkun remarked, staring out of the corners of his eyes.

"Sheesh! What a drag. They're probably all above the chunin level. If they catch up with us, we'll be destroyed." Shikamaru stated.

"Annihilated?!" Izumi was perplexed.

"Well, if that's the case, then shall we ambush'em and do'em?!" Naruto offered as they skipped across the tree branches and proceeded.

"Ambushing them would undoubtedly give us a significant edge. Even if they outnumber us, as long as we can surprise them," Izumi responded.

"It's pointless.  They're subordinates of Orochimaru, a former Konoha shinobi," Pakkun explained.

"Damn. I believed we could have been able to pull it off. But I suppose not," Shikamaru answered, irritated.

"Huh? Why? That has nothing to do with anything, right? I know you taught me about formations, but that doesn't apply to ninja level, does it?" Izumi asked for reassurance.

"Wait, what do you mean?" Naruto questioned.

"Yes, they do." Shikamaru added, "I suppose I never taught you about the other side of it... well, Izumi at least."

"Ok, listen up!" He raised two fingers to indicate a strategy. "There are certain conditions that must be met. The first is that such feelings must move quietly and locate the enemy first!" He paused.

"The second is to find and rapidly conceal oneself in a location and position where you can catch them off guard and inflict maximum damage on them. The ambush will not be effective until both of these conditions are met without a doubt," he paused.

Processing his explanation, he continued, "The first isn't too difficult to clear as long as we have Pakkun's nose. Even with the second criterion, it may appear that we can gain the best position to surprise them." He took a peek around the forest before going back.

"Because this is our home, we're quite comfortable with the area. However, this method will not work against the subordinates of a Konoha-based shinobi. The ambush will still benefit us, but there are too many unknown variables involved. To begin, the enemy has a ninja squad organized for this plan, whereas we have...", he glanced over at the three misfits beside him.

"An idiot," Naruto grumbled, making an audible sound of disgust.

"A dog," Pakkun glared angrily.

"My closest companion who's just as bright as me,"

Izumi smirked, 'Thanks, Shikamaru.'

"And the shirker, who doesn't even want to be here! You understand battle strategies! It's how to devise the optimal strategy after fully understanding the combat capabilities accessible in a particular situation. So, following that analysis, there's just one thing we can do now," Shikamaru gritted sharply.

"One thing?!" Izumi repeated.

"We need to stage a distraction that makes it appear as if we are about to ambush them. One of us will have to stay behind and stall them with a fake ambush," Shikamaru recommended.

"A decoy right?" Izumi guessed anxiously.

"That's right. If they're stalled, they won't be able to lose the trackers. But the one who stays behind will probably... die" Shikamaru concluded, much to the group's dismay.