Epilogue

The Finale

"C-CHASE."

Kumunot ang aking noo nang mapansing may binibigkas ang lalake. Dahil sa namumuong dugo sa kaniyang bibig, hindi ko maiintindihan ang kaniyang sinasabi. His eyes were also half closed and I couldn't bear looking at him in this condition.

I tightened my fists to prevent myself from acting on impulse.

"Nandito lang ako, I won't leave you," I assured the guy instead and held him closely. He continued to murmur something that I couldn't comprehend, but I chose to pay it no attention. Sa halip, itinuon ko ang aking paningin sa paligid at minasdan ang patuloy na paglaganap ng labanan sa pagitan ng mga sundalo at alagad ng kalaban.

The deafening sounds of gunfire everywhere, the melancholic pleas and cries of soldiers, the incessant trembling of the ground caused by exploding bombs and ammos, and the somber sight of dead bodies strewn across Central Wesdale.

When will this war end?

"You monster!"

Napatingin ako kay Mav na hirap na kinakalaban si Kray. I pursed my lips and searched around to spot Conrad, Kamala, Liz, and Perry. I was clinging onto their promise that they'd follow even though I had no idea what was taking them so long.

"Ano'ng ginawa mo kay Chase?! Damn you!"

Nagpantig ang aking taenga nang makarinig ng pamilyar na pangalan. Right, Chase! Where the heck is that guy? Hindi ko pa siya nakikita magmula no'ng dumating ako.

Kray laughed like a madman. "Oh, the cunning little fellow who threatened and made an effort to crush his stone in front of me?"

Myrows furrowed. What on Earth is he talking about? Chase was well aware of the risks involved with doing such act. He wouldn't behave that way!

"Need a hand?"

Napabuntong-hininga ako't masamang binalingan ng tingin si Conrad na kararating lang. "Where have you been? Akala ko'y namatay ka na nang tuluyan sa pagsabog." It was weird to predict death for a man who was already dead.

"Stop talking. I only came here for your boyfriend, not to listen to your bad mouth," he said as he shoved me to the side to lift Ace.

I scoffed. "I didn't know that you're a fan of fake news, Conrad. Saka, bigla-bigla ka na lang susulpot pagkatapos mo akong iwan kanina sa gitna ng pagsabog—"

"I can't take him to the agency right now," he cut me off. "Ilagay na lang natin siya sa isang ligtas na lugar."

"But there's no safe place in a battlefield. We can just take him to Sie so she can look after him—"

"Good. Let's go."

Marahas akong napabuga ng hangin upang pigilan ang sariling gamitan ng abilidad si Conrad. Calm down, Zai. He's just a dead man who was resurrected because of the stones.

Nang marating namin ang lugar kung saan ko iniwan si Sie, I came across a written note on a tree trunk, saying that she visited a nearby drugstore clinic to recuperate and clean up.

Nahanap naman namin ang tinutukoy ng babae at nadatnan nga namin ito sa loob ng pharmacy na ginagamot ang sarili.

"Ako na'ng bahala sa kaniya," she said and began applying bandages on Ace's wounded stomach. We both looked at the guy, who was already unconscious. I heard Sie heaving a sigh. "I'm sorry. This is the least that I can do. Kung hindi lang sana ako ganito kahina—"

"Shh, don't say that, Sie. You did your best." I gave her a reassuring smile. "No one's going to die. We'll win this war and live to see another sunrise."