19 | The Past

Chapter 19: The Past

PAANO NGA ULIT ako nahiwalay sa mga kasamahan ko?

I quietly exhaled a worn-out breath and lifted my shackled legs to reach for my weapon. Nais kong matawa 'pagkat dinala at tinali ako ng kidnapper sa salas ng mansiyon. Such a ludicrous act.

But my eyes squinted when a thought suddenly popped out of my mind . . . how in the world did he manage to enter my house through the barred main door without leaving any indications of forced entry?!

When I finally reached for my dagger, I swiftly cut the fabric that was knotted around my wrists and ankles. Funny how I ended up being a hostage in my own house. Kung malalaman ko lang talaga na ang pakay nito ay ang magnakaw, hinding-hindi ko siya palalampasin.

Nagitla naman ako nang makarinig ng sunod-sunod na pagsabog. The ground shook lightly and it made me feel anxious. Damn, I missed a couple of fights now! Sana'y ayos lang sila.

"This kidnapper should've tried harder tying me up." Napaismid ako't inis na inihagis ang telang kaniyang ginamit sa panggapos. "Hindi man lang ako nahirapang isalba ang sarili."

"Because we never really intended to kidnap you."

Natigilan ako nang makaramdam ng malalakas na presensiya sa aking likuran. Clutching my dagger, I turned around to confront the people responsible for my delay in returning to the agency.

Tumambad sa akin ang anim ka-taong kapuwa nakasuot ng itim na balabal. Isa-isa ko silang tinapunan ng tingin at inihanda ang sarili sa kung ano man ang mangyari. Although I had seen this coming, I didn't know that it'd still make me feel weak and terrified. I was used to fighting alongside the Orders rather than by myself. And looking at the foes before me—the oozing presence and inexplicable aura they were emitting—I realized I wouldn't stand a chance.

Hinigpitan ko ang pagkakahawak sa aking punyal. Well, at least I fought before dying.

I was immediately taken aback when they stepped forward.

"Step back!" matapang kong turan at itinutok sa kanila ang hawak na sandata. "I swear, this tiny weapon will be the death of you."

"How clever," said the woman who, I suppose, spoke a while ago. Siya iyong nasa pinakaharap kaya sa kaniya nakatutok ang aking punyal. "Would you really do that to your ancestral Orders, Miss Alcover?"

Natigilan ako nang dahan-dahan nitong ibinaba ang kaniyang talukbong. A blonde woman in her mid-twenties smiled at me. Her facial features alone could tell that she wasn't born a Filipina. And her accent . . . it was Western! A British accent!

"Liz, we're wasting time. Let's cut this crap."

My attention darted at a man who had also removed his hood. He, too, appeared foreign—with facial hair that highlighted his jawline and striking green eyes that peered at me as though I was a strange entity. The intensity of his stares caused me to swallow a lump in my throat.

"Pasensya ka na kay Liz. She merely loves thrill and mysteries," he added and smirked.

Napanganga naman ako nang marinig ang kakaibang tono ng pagsasalita nito gamit ang wikang pambansa. Who are these people?

"What a lovely little girl." Hinubad na rin ng isang babae ang kaniyang talukbong at lumapit sa akin. In defense, I stepped back and became warier of their moves. "I'm Perigrine, by the way. A member of the Orders and the Bearer of Time a century ago. It's finally nice to meet one of the Orders of this generation!"

My eyes blinked a couple of times. Did she say she's an Order? A century ago?!

"Perry naman, hindi ba't sinabing sabay-sabay tayong magpakilala?" ani naman ng isang babaeng . . . mukhang intsik? When I turned to face her, she had already pulled off her hood, and the sight of her reminded me of Mav. A pair of natural dark brown orbs, a bob cut made of silky black hair, a diamond-shaped face, and black eyeliners on her eyelids that completed her fierce appearance.