10 | The Commission

Chapter 10: The Commission

"THE GENERAL ONLY gave us two days to accomplish this mission. The agency couldn't track us, so we must be extra alert and careful." Ace eyed every one of us as he spoke. When our eyes met, I instantly averted my gaze. Geez, hindi ko pa nakalilimutan ang ginawa kong pagtulog ko sa kaniyang balikat!

We were currently outside the airport waiting for a cab. Habang inaayos ang aking luggage ay sumagi muli sa 'kin ang mga sinabi nito.

The agency meant to not send us a tracking device or communicate with us on this mission. As much as the general wanted to keep an eye on our actions and decisions, she didn't want to risk our safety by generating transmission waves and distress signals on the gadgets we were about to use that could possibly alarm the enemies on our whereabouts.

"I trust you, Orders. Bring back the Time Stone safe, and good luck."

Her last words echoed in my head. Siguro'y malaki talaga ang tiwalang ibinibigay ng babaeng heneral sa aking mga kasamahan. Now that I've mentioned it, I realized that we were only adolescents and were too young to handle grave situations like this. But come to think of it, too, we weren't normal at all.

People may see us as normal young people who were having the best time of their lives, but those were actually just façades to mask who we really were. These bodies may look young and delicate, but they bore six of the most significant and influential energies throughout the universe.

I was even wondering how this body of mine managed to contain the massive and dangerous power of the Mind Stone.

Maybe, this was really for me . . . an important piece that was bound to change all of me.

But have I ever regretted possessing this thing?

Hanggang ngayon ay itinatanong ko pa rin sa sarili kung bakit sa higit kumulang na pitong bilyong tao sa planeta ay ako ang napili nito. Karapat-dapat ba talaga ako?

Every now and then, I question my worth and capabilities. What if I went berserk and hurt the people around me with this ability? What if I wasn't strong enough to tame this immense power and slaughter millions of lives by mistake?

What if I wasn't worthy enough?

As my thoughts were filled with doubts and uncertainties, another question suddenly popped out in my mind. What if this power was given to someone else, and not me? Someone who wasn't pure . . . someone who was greedy for power? Someone who'd risk the lives of many just to become more powerful and superior?

Isang marahang ngiti ang pumorma sa aking labi. I may continue to doubt myself, but there was this one thing that I also continued to be proud of. I am a person who was fed with what was morally good for everyone—thanks to my Lola Elmira. Because of her, I knew how to control my emotions, especially when I got mad. I was also the type who doesn't dwell on debauchery and negative desires.

And I could only assure one thing: the power of the Mind Stone is safe in my hands.

"Nakaiinis na talaga 'yang Chase na 'yan, Zai!"

I looked at Sie, who was frowning. Nasa isang cab na kami ngayon kasama si Sev na nasa passenger seat.

Habang nakatingin sa babae, ngayon ko lang napagtantong sa halos dalawang linggong pagsasama namin ay hindi ko pa siya lubos na nakikilala. One of which was her full name. Since the day that I saw her, I knew that her appearance was sophisticated enough to be considered a pure Filipino citizen. She had these dark gray and almond-shaped eyes; a thin, heart-shaped lips; a perfectly carved thin nose; a tiny face; beige-colored skin; natural brunette-colored hair; and some visible freckles on her face.