T H I R T Y S I X

ARIANNA

I ALWAYS THOUGHT I WAS BETTER OF ON MY OWN, IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN A LITTLE LONLIER BUT IT WAS BETTER. IF I DIDN'T LET ANYONE IN, TRUST ANYONE, THERE WAS NO ONE TO HURT ME AND THAT WAS HOW I PREFERRED IT.

I couldn't get hurt because there was no one around to hurt me. I'd rather leave than get left behind at the end of the day. Because I witnessed firsthand how being abandoned by her mom, had left Aria with scars. Sure, physical scars could be seen on the outside, a free target for others' gossip and ridicule, but the thing about mental scars was that they were always there. Propping up at the most inconvenient moments, haunting and taunting you, just when you think you've healed and finally moved on from what happened.

"What are you thinking about?" Adrian murmurs, rolling over and peeking an eye open. His large hand grips my thigh gently as he runs a hand through his hair. "I can practically hear the wheels turning and it's only just gone," He pauses, glancing at the alarm clock that shows it's just gone eight O'clock, "Fuck," He grunts pulling me down with him so I'm lying underneath him "eight, no, you need to sleep," He demands as if it were that easy for me.

I arch a brow up at him, "I have therapy at quarter past nine," I mumble avoiding meeting his eye. Adrian has none of it though. With two fingers gripping underneath my chin, he jerks my head up, forcing me to meet the soft jade green eyes laced with sleep.

"Can I drive you?"

"You sure?" I ask arching a brow, running a hand down the length of his back when he settles in between my legs. "You can't come in with me," I point out, before he gets any ideas, cocking my head to one side.

"Come on now, does that sound like me?" He asks, shooting me a lopsided grin and a wink.

My gosh. This guy is going to be the death of me. But then again, I wouldn't mind a slow death at the hands of Adrian. I think to myself before nodding my head with a slow smile adorning my lips.

"Good, now let's go to sleep," He demands swatting my thigh.

"You just woke up," I state with a chuckle.

He whines against me, "Still early as fuck. Still tired as fuck," He mumbles through a yawn or at least I think he does.

"Okay, okay, you sleep, and I'm gonna grab a shower," I state slipping out from under him and replacing my body with a pillow.

I make it all of two steps before a hand tugs on my wrist. I turn arching a brow and planting a hand on my hip. Heart swooning when he puckers his lips for a kiss, "I'm only going to the bathroom," I tease but let him tug me back to the bed. Spinning around, I press my lips to his keeping it chaste, well aware of the time, before pulling back and making a move towards the bathroom.

I turn on the shower before stripping out of Adrian's tee shirt and pair of panties before getting in the shower and under the warm spray of water.

Fifteen minutes later, I emerge from the bathroom dressed in a pair of light washed skinny jeans and a cream-knit sweater.