T W E N T Y T H R E E

A R I A N N A

The next two hours pass by in a blur as Adrian presses down on the gas weaving in and out of the highway. And before I know it, Adrian is pulling up into the main carpark outside of Saint Luke's hospital, I give him the direction on how to get to the carpark for the Palliative Care Unit.

The second Adrian parks the car, I jump out, slamming the door closed behind me. Adrian hops out a minute later, locking my car over his shoulder before he leads me through to the ward's reception desk. 

A nurse glances up from her computer screen, flashing me a tight smile."Patrisha Malik, what room is she in?" I ask, my voice frantic with the thought of her leaving this world with so much left unsaid, happily skipping past the greetings.

"I'll have a look for you if you just give me one second." She asks, flashing me a tired smile which I don't bother returning, as she types on her keyboard before scrolling through her records as her gaze flicks back to me. "Are you a relative?" 

I let out a sigh, reminding myself this is not her fault before replying "I'm her daughter," 

"Can I see some ID?" She asks and I let out a grunt in acknowledgement before rummaging through my bag looking for my driver's liscence. Where the fuck is it? 

"Arianna," I hear my name being called out and I spin around on my heel to find Audrey walking towards me with her chestunut locks thrown up in a messy high ponytail with strands sticking out, her eyes bloodshot red with tears rimming her eyes. 

Ignoring the receptionist who I hear let out an agitated sigh,  I let go of Adrian's hand and run towards my sister. Needing to see my mom one last time. "Hey,"  I breathe, stopping in front of her as I feel Adrian stand behind me. "How is she?"   I  ask frantically, skipping past the greetings and getting straight down to it. 

Audrey doesn't reply as she wraps an arm around me, pulling me into her chest, wrapping her arms around and I sink into her, realising that she probably needs this as much as I do, if not more so. I pull away after a minute, "She's stable for now," She tells me glancing behind me at Adrian and flashing him a forced tight-lipped smile.

My brows pinch together, "For now?" I ask wondering what the fuck has happened. I mean she was fine when I left for university this morning.

"Dr. Zakir said that we almost lost her for a second there but they've managed to resusistate her."  Audrey explains, her voice soft, blinking back the tears at the thought of losing mum. I know what it feels like because I've been there. It sucks.

Without saying a word, she steers me towards a room at the end of the corridor. "Everyone's here, they all want to see her before she goes." She tells me as Adrian joins us at the door.  I peer in through the window to see that she's right. Everyone is crowded around the private waiting area.

My aunts, uncles and cousins who I haven't seen in a while but I remember from when I was younger. In the middle of the room, sits Amelia curled up in an armchair. "Does she know?"  I ask, feeling my heartbreak for my little sister who has no idea what's going on or just how her life is about to change from here on out.

From beside me, Audrey nods sucking in a breath, "Yeah,"  She releases a sigh as she turns to look at me. "Aaliyah had told her with the kids,"  She explains and I nod my head before pushing open the door and stepping in. I walk over to Amelia, ignoring everyone else gathered in the room brushing her hair that's fallen out of her ponytail away from her eyes, getting her to peer up at me.