T W E N T Y F O U R

Chapter Twenty-Four

"Hey, how are you doing?" I answer Aria's phone call, pressing the phone against my ear and leaning back against the counter.

"She's just about hanging in there," I admit with a shrug of my shoulder, "I don't think she has much longer left, Ria," I whisper throwing my head back with a sharp inhale, my words leave a bitter taste as they leave my mouth and I swipe underneath my eyes when Zaki strolls in, typing away on his phone as he sinks into a bar stool.

I shoot him a tired smile before spinning around and turning away, "Shit." She hisses slamming her hand onto the steering wheel as few a moments later I hear the sound of a blaring horn on the other side of the line. "I'm on my way with the girls, Nate and Hunter are following behind." She tells me and I hum, internally grateful to be surrounded by them during this difficult time, although I've never really said it out loud before.

"Half of them can stay at our old house. I dunno but we'll figure it out when we get there." She offers when I don't say anything.

"No, it's fine." I offer with a shake of my head. "Thank you for being here," I tell her wiping away the lone tear that treks its way down my cheek.

"You don't ever have to thank me, Arianna. What else are best friends for?" She offers with a soft chuckle and I shake my head as I hear footsteps from behind me and I glance over my shoulder with the phone pressed against my ear to see Adrian hovering around in the doorway, clearly feeling out of place. I suck in a breath before mumbling a quick goodbye to Aria and hanging up.

"Hey, you ready?" I ask glancing in between Adrian and Zaki, swinging my bag over my shoulder "Amelia, put your shoes on babe." I call out, slipping my arms into the sleeves of my jacket despite having on a hoodie of Adrian's and a pair of leggings. I tuck my hair out of my jacket, before leading the way to the front door, stopping to help Amelia with the buttons on her coat.

"Come on then squirt," I tug open the front door and lock it up when everyone's out before throwing Adrian my car keys as we make our way to my Audi parked in the driveway.

"So he's allowed to drive your car but not me?" Zach asks, arching a brow as he cocks his head to one side in question.

"Yeah. Because he actually has his licence." I point out arching a brow back at him, stopping to open the door for Amelia and buckling her in before slipping into the passenger seat.

Adrian glances back at my brother through the rearview mirror. "Excited to get your licence?" He asks with a soft grin as he turns the engine on and backs out of the driveway.

"Excited is a massive understatement," I tell him, scoffing at the thought. Because to be honest, that's all he ever talks about, what car he's going to get for the first time, all the trips he's going to go on with the boys from school. "Your first ride is going to be down to London with Amelia." I tease, twisting around in my seat so that I can see my sister in the back.

"Ain't that right squirt? You're going to come and see me and Zee in London with Zaki?" I ask with a soft smile, trying to distract her from the thoughts of our dying mother because she's been quiet since she got home from the hospital last night, squeezing her knee in reassurance.

Eventually she nods her head, her face breaking out into an ear-splitting grin. "You can get him to drive you around Bradford." Adrian offers, keeping his gaze straight ahead as he drives, weaving in and out of Bradford's mid-day traffic, I shoot him a grateful smile as a small giggle escapes her when Zaki groans, throwing his head back.