T H I R T Y F I V E

Chapter Thirty-five

A R I A N N A

I LEAD ADRIAN BACK INSIDE THE HOUSE WHEN THE LIGHT DRIZZLE OF RAIN TURNS TO A HEAVY DOWNPOUR.

"Shit, you're soaked," Adrain curses, "Pres grab some towels," He calls out to a guy hovering around the kitchen fridge, clearly wanting to grab another drink.

The guy glances between us, before nodding his head once and leaving the room, "I'm fine," I insist batting his hands away when he peels my jacket off.

"No, you're not," He rolls his eyes, thanking Preston, a player on the basketball team when he strolls back into the kitchen a minute later and hands him two towels.

Wordlessly Adrian takes them both and leads me upstairs and down the hall into a bathroom, locking the door closed behind him. Placing a towel on the counter, he guides me to sit on the edge of the bathtub, he drapes one over my shoulders before taking the other and carefully, gingerly drying my hair with the towel.

"You good?" Adrian peers down at me, his jade-green eyes twinkling down at me from beneath a pair of thick lashes. "Princess," He nudges his shoulder a second later when I don't reply, too lost in my thoughts of him and a possible future together.

Nodding my head, I release a sigh as he wraps his arms around my neck, fingertips trailing down my bare shoulders, stopping at the sleeves of my dress and tugging at them with a frown.

"What are we doing here, Rian?" I murmur against him as his hand moves down to my stomach, holding me in place against him as he tilts his head, lips running down the side of my neck.

I hum against him, "Well, what do you mean?"

I push myself to stand, pacing the length of the bathroom. "I mean what are we?" I ask, screwing my eyes closed as the words fall from my lips and blowing out a breath. Here goes nothing, I guess.

I think I'd rather know if he doesn't feel the same because then maybe just maybe I can avoid another heartbreak, another disappointment somewhere down the line. Because I fear a broken heart at the hands of Adrian King is not something I'll be able to bounce back from. My poor fragile heart will not be able to handle being broken apart by yet another man.

"We're whatever you want us to be," Adrian murmurs running a hand through his hair as he stalks towards me. For each step forward he takes, I take one backwards until my back hits the counter. Fuck. He smirks as he takes the last step forward, caging me in with an arm on either side of me. "I'm not seeing anyone else if that's what you're getting at," He murmurs softly, taking hold of my chin in his palm, purposefully keeping his chin light.

"You and Kingston?" He arches a brow, a scowl forming on his lips at the question.

I shake my head with a sigh, "Ryan and I we're not... I mean we are but we're not dating," I stumble over my words because how am I supposed to focus with his green eyes staring down at me.

"But you are... hooking up?" He hesitates, looking pained, almost as though he doesn't want to ask the question because he's afraid of the answer.

"Yeah, we were," I offer, shrugging my shoulders, and deciding to go through with the truth. "I'll end things with him in the morning," I offer because it's him. It's always been him, even when I didn't know it was him. Although I'm not entirely sure if Ry wants things between us to end if the way he's been stropping around the apartment all week is any indication.