T H I R T Y N I N E

Chapter Thirty-nine

A R I A N N A

"Subeonas calling all the witnesses we've gathered in our favour to the stand go out next week," Nate informs, his voice stoic as he slides a file across the coffee table.

Brows furrowing in confusion, I reach for the file, sitting up straighter. Nate chuckles, the sound echoing off the wall of the lounge, at whatever expression is written across my face. 

"No need to be scared." He assures me, scrubbing a hand across the scruff littered over his jaw to hide his smirk. Bastard. "It's just a list confirming all the people we're calling to the stand to testify,"

Scared is an understatement. I'm terrified but sadly, it's not a luxury I can afford. I know that. I  know I have to be strong but where do I find the strength, and the courage to tell my story as well as every other woman's story out there? Because I'm not naive enough to think I was the first person this has happened to. I've heard horror stories on the news,  I know the numbers.

"Hey, this isn't about anyone else. It's about you, Ari," Nate points out when I remain silent, brows furrowing together in confusion.

"But it doesn't just stop at me," I point out, my voice coming out shaky.

"Every single woman out there has a story of harassment,"  Aria points out.

"No one's saying they don't," Zayn murmurs from his seat opposite me.

"I've seen the numbers, Arianna...," Nate trails off with a shake of his head, sighing in disgust. "It's..."

"Disgusting? Humiliating?" I offer, arching a brow as he struggles to find the right words.

"The difference between you and them is that you will be able to get justice,"

Locking him up won't make me forget what happened, nor will it change the fact that I am a survivor and not a victim of sexual abuse. Because I haven't, I won't, let what happened define me.

"No. The difference is that I couldn't fight him off. There was no one around to help. He dragged me to the back of an alley, with me kicking and screaming in board fucking daylight on a deserted road whilst I was walking home from my boyfriend's place, Nate"I grit out through gritted teeth, releasing a shuddering breath.

"Wha-"

Screwing my eyes closed, "Taking him to court and getting a conviction, yeah, it will take him off the streets but it won't change the fact that it happened, it won't change the fact that I have to live with what he did." A tear spills from my eye, I'm quick to wipe it away because I don't want to cry. At least not over this. I've already cried enough tears and now all that's left is anger and rage. 

"Don't hide your tears," Adrian murmurs, dropping a kiss onto the crown of my head, grabbing my wrist in his much larger hand, and tucking it into his. 

I shrug a shoulder,  ignoring the way my cheeks heat under his stare. "It's stupid," I mumble into his chest. "I don't want to cry, at least not over this,"

"Tears are words the heart can't say," Aria murmurs, inching forward in her seat and I know she's dying to reach across the coffee table and tackle me in a bear hug, offering me comfort in the only way she knows that takes the pain away.

"Quoting my mom already," Zayn snips, lips curling up into a smile, eyes alight with the memory.

Aria shrugs her shoulder, unapologetic as always. "Someone has to keep the memory of Mama Malik alive." She teases with a grin, "And I know it sure as hell isn't going to be you."