This is so unfair

Chapter 7

Friday, 4:30 pm

In the bunker

Katie's POV

I'm in my room, texting my friend, Bailey. We made plans to go to the mall, after school.

Bailey: You're sure you're able to come?

Katie: Why wouldn't I be?

Bailey: Well, you said your Dad might not let you come.

That's just because he likes to be dramatic. Every time I ask him if I can go somewhere, it's always "But did you do your chores?" Or "Did you finish your homework?" But he always lets me go anyway.

Katie: I thought he wouldn't, but he always lets me go, pretty much wherever I want. So I don't think I'll have any problems.

Bailey: Ok. I'll meet you there, in like an hour.

Katie: Ok.

Now I have to go ask Dad to bring me to the mall. I put my phone on my nightstand and leave my room. I think Dad's in the living room. I go to the living room and find Uncle Dean, sitting on the couch. But Dad's not in here.

Katie: Uncle Bean?

Uncle Dean: Yeah?

Katie: Where's Dad?

Uncle Dean: Did you check his room?

No, but I should have. His room is on the way to the library. I really could've checked there, before I walked all the way to the living room.

Katie: No.

Uncle Dean: If he's not in his room, come back and I'll help you look for him.

Katie: Ok. Do you think he'll let me go to the mall?

Uncle Dean: Maybe. But if he doesn't, it's because of your behavior, not because he just feels like saying no.

Katie: But I really wanna go.

Uncle Dean: I get that. But if your Dad says no, you have to stick with that answer. Ok?

Absolutely not.

Katie: Yeah, I guess.

Uncle Dean: I'm serious, Katie. If he says no, don't give him attitude. You brought that answer on yourself. Don't get yourself in trouble. Ok?

Katie: Ok.

I leave the room and start walking all the way back down the hall. That's the only thing I don't like about the bunker. The really long hallways. Once I get to Dad's room, I find him, laying on his bed, reading a book. Fucking nerd. You're gonna spend your Friday afternoon reading? Seriously?

Katie: Daddy?

Dad: Yeah?

Katie: Can you bring me to the mall, in like an hour?