Watch your tone

Katie's 16

Chapter 1

Monday, 4:00 pm

In the bunker

Katie's POV

I just got home from school, where my P.E teacher said she'd be calling Dad, because I didn't wanna run. She makes us run laps, sometimes, and today, I didn't want to. I never want to, but today, I chose not to. She saw me sitting on the bleachers and said that if I didn't start running with everybody else, she'd be calling Dad, at the end of the day. I don't think she'll do it, though. She threatens to calls peoples' parents, all the time, and most of those people say that she never called their parents. So I think I'm in the clear.

Katie: Daddy. I call as I get to his room.

Dad: Hey, Munchkin. How was school?

Katie: Um, it was fine, I guess.

Dad: Nothing interesting happened?

Katie: No. It's school, not a carnival.

Dad: Watch your tone.

Somebody's in a mood.

Katie: Whatever. Where's Uncle Bean-

Dad: Your P.E. teacher called me, today. He says as he puts his book down and sits up.

Fuck. Of course, I'm the lucky person who's parent she actually calls.

Katie: She did?

Dad: Yeah, she did. And do you know what she told me?

No, but I've got a pretty good guess. "Katelyn wasn't participating in class, today". Fucking bitch.

Katie: No.

Dad: She told me that you refused to run with everyone else. And when she asked you to run, you said "Why would I wanna run? I don't even wanna be here". Then you sat on the bleachers and ignored her for the rest of the class period.

Ok so maybe I did a little more than JUST refuse to run. But that doesn't matter. What matters is that hoe trying to force people to run. Why the fuck would I wanna run? I wouldn't. So I didn't. What's the problem here?

Katie: She's so dramatic. I didn't even say that.

Dad: Then what did you say? Because I know you, and I know that you did say something to her.

Katie: Nothing.

Dad: So, you ignored her while she was talking to you?

Katie: No. I just-

Dad: What did you say to your teacher, Katie?

Katie: I said "Why the fuck would I wanna run? I don't even wanna fucking be here".