Chapter 43

Kamso

"Hello Kamso, grab some groceries on your way home abeg."

"Sure." I waited for her to continue, but it
was obvious she had said all she had to say.

I nodded and ended the call. She forgot my
birthday again, that girl. I sighed and walked into the nearest shop. Twenty five. Well, happy birthday to me. I picked up the stuff we needed and made my
way home.

I wondered why everywhere was dark,
I was quite sure there was light in the neighborhood while I was coming back. Or did Muna forget to pay this month's rent again. That girl can forget things eeh? I shook my head and pushed the door open.

"SURPRISE!" I blinked twice and shifted from the spot I was frozen on and looked around.

Oh my God.

"Happy birthday sweet." Muna came and hugged me.

"I thought you forgot about it." I whispered feeling my eye tear up.

"Don't start crying again. And no, I didn't forget. "I'll give you a gift later." She hugged me again and Jay walked up.

"Happy birthday my ebony." He pecked my cheek and I nodded and smiled. Some of my new friends and Muna's friends came up wishing me happy birthday.

Everywhere got quiet for a while before people started whispering amongst themselves. I heard someone clear their throat behind me and I turned.

There was Jacob standing behind me ring box in hand. He knelt down and cleared his throat again.

"You take me right back to when I was a teenager. Raging hormones, sweaty palms, thudding hearts and all that." Some people chuckled and he opened the box.

"Chikamso, I- you're the love of my life. You're my everything and from the first time I saw you sitting in the library back at school, I'd fallen deeply in love with you. Thoughts of you flood my mind everyday when I wake up and just before going to bed. I love
everything about you-

"Jay-

"I want to spend forever with you Kamso. I want to live my life with you beside me. Will you marry me Okeke Chikamso Chinezeremgbo?"

I stood there and looked into his eyes. I don't feel the same way, no matter how hard I try and trust me. I tried, but I just couldn't get to love him. I liked his personality but it took more than that to get married to someone.

"Jay I-"

"Say yes." People started whispering from
the crowd."Say yes!" Wait oo, is it your yes?
Abi will you marry him if I said yes? Just shut
up jare.

I had always thought proposing to the one you love in front of a crowd was romantic but this just isn't cutting it for me. It felt like blackmail or something close to it. I was torn between not wanting to disgrace him before his friends and all and actually saying no.

"Jacob, you're a nice guy. I mean you would make someone out there a perfect husband, but that girl isn't me. I'm sorry, I can't." I turned and almost ran to my room and shut the door.

"It's me Muna." I got up reluctantly and opened the door, we looked at each other and she smiled.

"Muna, I'm sorry. I know he's your cousin-"

"Kamso stop apologising. It's not your fault, plus that boy is very stubborn and he'll never take no for an answer so he deserves it" I sighed and smiled.

"You're not angry."

"I know I should be, him being my cousin and all. But I'm not, you're my friend too remember? You should have seen his face though." She started laughing but I didn't join her.