Chapter 21

Kamso

I lay on my bed, chatting with my bestie, Ij. So she tells me her mum and dad are going through a hard time. I feel for her, she was the only child.

You can come over, eeh?

I don't know what to say to her in a time like this, what do you say to your friend whose parents are having like a really tough time.

– I don't know, I can hear them shouting all
the way from my room. What will I do if they
start fighting?

I really don't know, God why would some parents fight when their children are around. Shouldn't they at least do it discreetly?

–Ij it's not your fault they're having problems
So don't Kill yourself over that. Just come
over and forget about it for sometime
please?

I bit my thumb and waited for her reply, this should not happen to Ij.

-It's very easy for you to say. Last night, my
dad hit my mum. Like over and over again
in my presence, Kamsso. Why did they get
married if they were just going to fight each
other.

Something told me she was crying.

-Ij please just come. Please.

-Ok. I'm coming. Keep some ice cream for
me oo. I need to delve in and just forget.

-Sure. I love you sooo much.

–I love you too. Thanks for being there, I'm sorry if I'm disturbing you.

–I'll always be here, lj. What are friends for?

I quickly ran to the kitchen and check the fridge for ice cream. Good, we still had a big bowl left. After sometime, someone knocked on the door and I ran to open it. God, Ij looked so down and drained. That was not the bubbly girl I know.

I wrapped my arms around her and rubbed her back. "Everything will be fine Ij, you'll see."

"I hope so because.." She broke into tears and sobbed against my shoulder.

"Ij, please stop." I said my own voice wavering I've never seen her this sad and I just wanted to make it go away.

"Let's go to my room." My mum had gone to work and Kaima was chatting with her friends in the sitting room. I grabbed the ice cream and went up with her.

I handed her a spoon and opened the cover, we ate in silence because I didn't know what to say at all. She wiped a tear that fell down her face but continued eating,

"Don't tell anyone?" She whispered.

"Of course bestie." I said squeezing her hand
tightly.

"This is all my fault Kamso. It's my fault my parents are fighting. And dad mentioned a divorce. God I don't know." She said crying,

"This is not your fault." I told her reaching up and wiping her tears with the back of my hand.

"It is." She sniffed and calmed down a bit.

"The week we came back for vacation, just few days after, my dad was in the garage working on his car. So he got a call and I went to take his phone to him."

"It's ok Ij, You don't have to say if it hurts you so much." I whispered when tears started flowing down her face again.

"I want to just get this off my chest." She said
and I nodded.

The call ended before I took the phone to my dad but a message came in. I shouldn't have opened it, but I did and it was a picture of a woman's.. boobs and y'know." She sniffed.