Chapter 27

Kamso

The hostel as a whole was so quiet except for SS3 floor. Where students that were solving Maths together.

Even Ij was awake reading nawaoo, this one is not a small thing oo. My thoughts went to Mike, that boy that slept throughout night prep except for the time I disturbed him to teach me a topic or two.

Math was the only subject I could accept that he did better than me. The only subject he easily came out top in. Even though I still don't know how, for instance, today that people were running around cramming formula he was sleeping. And whenever I disturbed him, he would quickly help me and go back to sleep. Anyway that's his problem.

"Ij, Im hungry" I said looking up from my book.

"Ehen? What do you want me to do?" She said without even looking up.

"Give me your cup."

"It's in my wardrobe."

Ha. Fear maths oo, for Ij to be this serious it means that wahala dey. I rolled my eyes and went to her cupboard and took her cup.

"You didn'teven wash it" I pouted.

"Wash it then. Kamso I have Math tomorrow ."
It's just maths, I wonder why everyone was going crazy about it. True, it wasn't my best subject but it wasn't my worst either.

I poured some water into the cup and rinsed it but I was too lazy to go to the sink to throw the dirty water away. So I sat on my bed contemplating on whether I should pour it to the quadrangle below.

It was against the rule to pour water through the window into the quadrangle but tonight, my laziness was getting the best of me.

"Just pour it away through the window na."

I heard lj say. I looked at her and noticed she was already looking at me. Soon na she'll start saying about how I was miss goody two shoes who wouldn't break the law even if her life depended on it. It made no sense, as if rules were made to be broken.

Just as I threw the dirty water through the window, Chidimma Obi walked past and the water poured all over her. OMG. The first day I'm breaking the rules and looked what happened.

"I'm sooo sorry." I dropped the cup on the windowsill and rushed out.

"Oh My God, Chidimma I'm so sorry" I looked at the
brown stain made by the dirty water on her
fancy nightgown.

Ij started laughing from the hostel. Seriously,
can't she choose a better time for that her extremely loud laughter. Chidimma's face twisted in anger and
I noticed she was clenching and unclenching her fists. Nawaoo, this one na correct yawa.

I glared at Ij and she mouthed "it's not my fault oo. See her face like..." then she made this ridiculous
face in an attempt to mimic Chidimma.

Ij was so good at mimicking people and the face she made was so similar to what Chidimma had on. A small laugh escaped my mouth and I quickly coughed to cover up. But Ij started laughing all over again and made it difficult for me. So I burst out into laughter.

God, I wanted to stop, but it was one of those laughter that wouldn't stop no matter what. When we finally stopped, Chidimma was livid. She gritted her teeth so hard, I could her the sound from where I stood.

"You're laughing. You just spoiled my nightgown and you're laughing. I bet you wouldn't find it funny when I report you to our house mistress and have her punish you."

"I'm really sorry Chidimma."

"What will that do for me? Sorry? Will that get these ugly stains of. Do you know how much this cost?"