Chapter 2

Mike

I rolled my eyes when our physics teacher went on and on about Chikamso. That man will use every opportunity to sing her praises.

Mr Mbazu might think that he is going her any good but actually, he wasn't. He only made other students jealous of her. And I noticed that the Chikamso of a girl had more friends in art class than in science.

Immediately the teacher left, Kanayo my right hand man, came up to my seat. We were partners in crime.

"Kanayo so the zero even reached you." I joked.

"Leave that short man abeg. Who gives a test at the end of a class?" He said waving the teacher away. "What of that new girl?"

"I knew you were going to ask about a girl. If you don't ask after a girl, then you've not started." I said going back to my physics book trying to make sense of the new topic."

"Before nko? Is it my fault that all the girls will be chasing after you? If you were a good friend, you would at least introduce one to me."

I laughed at this. Kanayo that is always changing girls like something else. "Kanayo you. I don't even know why I'm still friends with you. Small thing na, you'll corrupt me."

He punched my shoulder playfully. "Stop trying to change the topic. What of that girl Chisom."

I put down my pen and shook my head "Guy I don't know about that one, she's not my type."

"Not your type? Who–"

"Kanayo you're disturbing me. I need to get this problem." I said motioning to my physics text.

"Haba, Mike accept that the girl is better than you, stop competing with her already."

I looked up with surprise written all over my face. Does it look as if I'm competing with that girl? "I never said I was competing."

He nodded and left, but I still thought of what he said. I was good at physics and I'm not competing with anybody else. I held my head with both hands and rubbed my thumbs on the sides of my head suddenly feeling drained.

I placed my head on my desk and shut my eyes for a while. When I opened them slightly, my eyes locked with hers. Chikamso Okeke. She turned immediately and focused on the book before her and I shut them back. Whatever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I took extra care preparing for school because today is the day. The official handover. Some part of me dreaded the post, I mean all it would do is put a lot of responsibility on my shoulder. No more messing around.

I even got to class earlier than usual. And I was surprised to see that I was not alone in that. Most of my classmates were already seated, looking more quiet than usual. "This one is not a small thing oo." I whispered to myself as I got to my seat.

"Michael!" Kanayo ran into the class rowdily as usual. Tsk, that boy sef, other people are behaving themselves this week but not him.

"Guy must you announce your presence?" I hissed.

Some of our classmates glanced our way,curious about the noise. They can gossip eeh. Kanayo must have been thinking the same thing I was thinking because he turned to the boy beside us.

"Mind your business na. Must you fall inside my mouth?"

The boy hissed "If you wanted it to be private,why then are you shouting. Trying to burst someone's tympanic membrane."

Kanayo burst out in laughter and me, I couldn't hold my own. I feigned a cough and looked away but trust Kanayo. "Kuku kill me. Tympanic membrane that you learnt yesterday."

I dragged Kanayo away before the thing escalated info a fist fight. "What is it you wanted to tell me?"

"Ehen! I discovered gold yesterday night, just after prep." He opened his bag and searched through it.

"Gold kwa? Kanayo what are you talking about?"

"Have patience oo. This one is bomb."

My patience was already wearing thin but I was very curious to know what it was that got him all excited like this. Knowing Kanayo it had something to do with a girl. I watched as he pulled a carefully folded paper out of his bag and dangled it in my face.

"What is it?" I asked in a bored tone. "It better be important, I don't have time for nonsense."

"Smell it first." He said holding it up to my nose. I took a sniff and it smelled like a mixture of strawberry, apple and coconut maybe, I wasn't sure but whatever it was, it was nice.

"And?" I asked with a raised brow.

"It's a love letter." He said with his face breaking out into a wide grin.

I rolled my eyes and sighed deeply. Did I not say that it had something to do with a girl? This confirms it, Kanayo is girl crazy. "So who is the girl crazy enough to write you a love letter?"

"That's where it gets even better. It's not for me. It was written to you." He winked at me still smiling.

"So? Kanayo, I receive tons of letter everyday. Even from female teachers. Why would this be any different?" Sometimes, this guy was slow. I am tired of reading letters, some of then not even properly written.

"Kanayo leave me alone." I said pushing him away from my desk. He simply kept smiling.

"What?" I asked getting annoyed.

"I know you receive a lot of letters but, you'll never guess who this one is from." He said tapping it on his cheeks.

"Who?" I asked with little interest still. I don't even have time for any of my female classmates and I'm not in the mood for a junior girlfriend.

"Guess na." He said laughing. "It's someone unusual. You would never expect it from her at all "

I was curious for a moment and then racked my brain. "Nnenna?" He shook his head.

"Chidimma Obi?" He laughed and shook his head again.

"Nneoma? Adaeze? Ifunana? Chibuenyim? Chineze?" I gave up when he continued to say no.

"I told you you'd never guess it right." He said crossing his hands across his chest.

"Guy if you don't want to tell me say na. What's all these, as if the–"

"It's Chikamso. Chikamso Okeke." He interrupted.

And for a strange reason, my heart started pounding. "It's a lie." I said snatching the paper from his hand. And true enough, it was her handwriting. I quickly glanced to the end of the paper and there her name was written boldly and it was addressed to me. "Gerrara here." I thought to myself.

I won't say that I found Chikamso intimidating, it's just that I've always seen her as someone very serious with her studies. I mean you won't ever find her mingling with boys. To find out she has feelings for me? Well that's just...

"She gave it to you?" I asked.

"Nope. I accidentally found it. She must've misplaced it. But all is well since you eventually got it. I mean it saved her from the stress of giving it to you herself."

Before I could get into any further question, the bell went for morning assembly. I folded the paper neatly and put it between my books and then went downstairs.

Don't forget to vote guys
Loves ya