Chapter 38

Mike's mum

"Don't tell me honey, that you're only here for a week." I said when my husband walked in and removed his shirt. But he ignored meBand went to the window.

"Honey. You spend more time outside the country than with your family." He simply smiled and leaned down to peck me.

"You look good." He smiled "You always look good." He added with a wink.

"I'm serious hon."

"About what dear?" He said moving back to his position at the window side. I hate it when he's distracted when I'm talking to him. I reluctantly got up from the bed and moved to his side to see what he was looking at.

Looking down through the window, I saw Mike and his girl. He was chasing her around the garden and they were both laughing. I was sure that if I listened close enough, the sound of their laughter would get to my ears.

Mike hid behind some trees and she had a frown while looking for him. I tried not to smile when he sneaked up behind her and hugged her from behind. She screamed and then turned to him and hit his
chest many times but he only smiled and kissed her.

I never really noticed the difference in their height, but looking at how she stood on tip toes and how he leaned down, I couldn't help but smile. She wasn't that short but let's just say my son got his height
from my husband.

He picked her up and twirled her around with her hands clutching around his neck. Then he kissed her again, I pulled away from the window because I felt I was invading their privacy. I turned to return to the bed when I saw my husband looking at me with a
smile.

"They look good together, you have to admit. And Mike seems happier and at ease with her just as he is with us, if not closer." He said.

And I looked back through the window and they were still standing there, but she was just there in his arms, her head neatly tucked in his chest.

I sat down on the bed with a sigh and he moved closer and kissed my shoulder.

"He's still too young, he's only twenty five. I wasn't
even married at twenty five, you weren't even thinking of marriage at thirty love. And she's what? Twenty two? Three?"

"But darling, they're not us. So what if they met earlier than we did?"

"Then there's the fact that she might be after the family money."

"You and I both know that that is not true. I've watched her for sometime and she's good for our son, if not too good, you know that too. She's funny too once you get to know her, in fact, when I'm
with her, it feels like I'm with Amaka. So why don't you like her?"

"I just don't." He paused and just looked at me. Then he stroked my cheek and smiled.

"I remember the first time I met you. Fiery eyes, bold and outspoken, and the fire. One look at you and I was lost." I smiled too when I remembered.

"What are you driving at darling?"

"When my heart fell for you, nothing could change my mind. I knew you just had to be mine. And I know my son, most of the way he behaves, he inherited from me. He is persistent as hell and let me tell you, that girl is not slipping away from his hands. He's crazy about her."

"He hasn't seen better." When I said this, my husband looked at me with disappointment written all over his face.

"And what's your definition of better? You and I know what the problem is, you love our son so much and you can't think of him with another as one so soon. Having another woman as first in his life but
you."