Pain and Decision

- Yesterday before the tragic-

Tanjiro and Nezuko had arrived at the village.

Shop woman: "Ah, Tanjiro and Nezuko! You two came down the mountain on a day like today? Both of you might catch a cold."

Tanjiro: "It's not as bad as you think."

Nezuko: "You need a refill on charcoal by any chance?"

Man: "Hay!"

Tanjiro/Nezuko: "Eh?" Turn their heads.

Man: "I'll take some more!"

Man 2: "I'm good, but thanks for fixing my sliding doors the other day Tanjiro."

Woman 2: "I need some charcoal, too!"

???: "Aaah! Tanjiro!"

Tanjiro and Nezuko turn around and see a bloody-faced boy showing Tanjiro a broken plate.

Boy: "I've been accused of breaking this plate! Can help me out here? Please give it a sniff!"

Tanjiro sniffs the broken plate and answers.

Tanjiro: "It smells like a cat to me."

Boy: "You see?" Turns and looks at his mother.

Boy's mom: "So it really was a cat."

Then everyone asks Tanjiro and Nezuko for their help.

-Time Skip-

Tanjiro and Nezuko were heading back up the mountain

Tanjiro: "How did it get so late?"

Nezuko: "We have been busy helping everyone."

Tanjiro: "True. At least we sold all the charcoal them out."

???: "Tanjiro, Nezuko, hang on!"

The Kamado duo were asked to come into the house for the night by their old neighbor Saburo. They couldn't argue with him so they stayed in his house.

-Saburo's house-

Tanjiro and Nezuko were eating dinner with Saburo

Tanjiro: "Hay, uh, Mr. Saburo, what do you mean by "Demons"?" As he drinks his tea.

Saburo: "There have always been man-eating demons prowling about after dark." Grabbing two futons for Tanjiro and Nezuko to sleep on.

Saburo: "That's why it's not safe to go outside at night. Time for bed. You can set off for home at first light."

Tanjiro and Nezuko got into their Yukata as Mr. Saburo said good night to them as they went to their futons.

Nezuko's P.O.V

Old man Saburo's been on his own since he lost his family, he was very lonely after he told us what happened. Our grandma told us the same story about the existence of demons. It was hard to believe that demons do exist, that is until 8 years ago.

-8 years ago-

When Tanjiro was 7 and I was 6, we were playing around the house as our mom was folding up our clothes into the basket and dad was outside chopping wood, then I noticed that Onii-chan was sniffing the air for something.

Kid Nezuko: "Smell something Onii-chan?"

Onii-chan continued smelling the air as he answered me and Mom.

Kid Tanjiro: "...Salt."

Kei: "What do you mean sweetie?"

Kid Tanjiro: "As in tear salt, and lots of it."