66

"I don't think of you as my mother and when I was younger I wished so much that you would suddenly appear one day and tell me that you made a mistake...maybe even say you love me. But I don't hate you, maybe I should and I think once I even did. But I don't. I want to say thank you. Thank you for leaving me here, I am happy here, and thank you for choosing my dad to be my dad he really is the best... except when he takes my hat. Also...thank you for sending miss Hazel. She is my mom now, I got to choose her and I think I chose well. I hope you are happy where ever you are."

Evelyn steps back and takes Hazel's hand. "If anyone wants to say anything, you can," she says. All the cowboys, Tina, and Mags too came to bury Cathy and now they are standing in a circle, hats off as they look at a little hole with a coffee can in it. Hazel taps Austin when no one says anything. He shakes his head and so she taps him again. He shoots her a look and then sighs and takes a step forward, clearing his throat. "Cathy...I, uh...I'm sorry you are dead...kinda. I didn't know you very well, but I am sure you were nice...not really, but you did look stupid ridin' that horse once. I had a good laugh when you fell off so thank you for that. Although you were pregnant so I probably should not have laughed...uh, I didn't go looking for you when you left because I hoped we would never see you again. But in the end, you tried to do the right thing and that's got to count for somethin'...so...thank you."

He looks back at Hazel who's now looking at him with her mouth dropped open. The man has no filter, honestly. But his words don't upset Evelyn she has been around her father long enough. She steps forward and kneels by the hole and starts pushing the dirt back in covering Cathy. Once done she stands and everyone puts their Stetsons back on. None of them really want to be here, but they would do anything for Evelyn. "Ok, well that's done. Back to work," Evelyn says and everyone happily gets back onto their horses.

"What is your horse's name, dad?" Evelyn asks as they walk away from the old oak. "Thunder," Austin says then leans down and pats Thunder's shoulder. "Of course it is," Hazel says. "What have you decided to name yours?" Evelyn asks Hazel. "Well I had a few in mind but...Sparkle is what I have finally settled on," she says. "Absolutely not," Austin says. "I love it!" Evelyn says. Austin frowns.

"That is a ranch horse, not a unicorn."

"Is she though? She does have a unicorn vibe."

"You can not name her that. Pick another name."

"No. Her name is Sparkle. She is my horse and that's what I have chosen to call her. Besides, she likes it."

"She does not like it. You can't-"

"Hush now rancher. I will hear no more of it."

Austin sulks in his saddle but stays quiet and Evelyn giggles. They walk a little further until they reach the base of mount Eve then Austin halts the horses. "Evelyn take Sp-...that horse, back to the house. You, woman, climb on with me," he says. Hazel hops off Sparkle and then climbs on in front of Austin. Evelyn moves forward in Sparkle's saddle and then grins at Hazel and her father. "Good luck," she says with a wink and then gallops off to catch up with the rest of the cowboys. Austin turns Thunder and drives him up the mountain. Hazel watches as the land changes from ranch land to the rocks and bushes of the mountain. It's beautiful. They walk past Zip's grave and Hazel tips her head at it, "Hi Zip," she whispers. Austin drives them further up till they reach the very top and then walks them to the very edge, overlooking Cottonwood. It's the first time she has been up here and the sight takes her breath away. It's beautiful.

"From those trees along there, across to that valley there then up to the road and back down to this mountain and the valley behind...is all Cottonwood," Austin points out. It's huge, like a little country on its own. "That's our home, that's Tina's house, my father's house, Linda's house, and over there near the trees is where my cowboys live. See those rolling hills near the south boundary?" he points, Hazel nods, "That's where Lightning runs his horses," he says. "Will you ever see him again?" she asks. "Aye, from time to time," Austin answers. "It's beautiful...see the ranch house...the yard...right there in the middle of it is where I have buried my heart," Hazel points out. "This is my home," she adds. "Aye, that it is. You have every right to be here, you have a place and a purpose...you have changed this place. The grass is greener, the river water sweeter and the trees grow taller. The men respect you, Evelyn is your daughter, and I...I, well, I love you."

"When I was away...I had a dream, it was so real. I was in a house and your mother was in her bed, you were by her side. You were begging her to stay but she was having none of it. She told you that she was no longer needed...that a woman was coming. I wish...I wish I had met her, spoken to her...at least then I would know for sure that she approved of me...that by some miracle I am that woman she spoke so lovingly of."

When Austin says quiet Hazel turns to look at him. He looks a little shocked.

"What color was her nightdress?"

"What?"

"Her nightdress?"

"Purple...I think. Oh, and she had pink flowers on her bedside and a hand-drawn card from Evelyn."

"That conversation happened."

"What?"

"That conversation happened."

Hazel stares at Austin. What? Austin's mom spoke to her in a dream? "She...she was the one who warned me about Lightning... that's why I came," she whispers. "She never was any good at not meddling," Austin says with a soft smile. "The ranch has a life force of its own, we would do well not to ignore its words," Austin says. Hazel nods and turns back to look out over the ranch...her ranch. "I am a proud man, Hazel," he starts and Hazel looks back at him, "a stubborn man," he says, Hazel raises her eyebrows. "Mulish," he adds with a little smile. "But I am not a stupid man. I know what I can live without and what I can't. I know what's important in this life. I have worked hard to gain the respect of all those around me...but it all seems pointless without you," he says and lets out a shaky breath. "I am an honest man, and I would like an honest woman by my side...I would like you by my side," he says then holds out a fisted hand and slowly uncurls his fingers. In his palm is a small gold band, no diamond, no fancy patterns - just a smooth gold band. "Another family secret...there is gold in this river. I made this and I would like you to wear it," he whispers. Hazel has to blink furiously at the tears that cloud her vision. "I need you to say the words...I need to hear them, please," she whispers back. Austin takes the ring and slips it onto her finger. "Hazel...darlin', will you marry me?" he asks softly. Hazel looks at him, so soft yet regal. "I'll marry you, rancher," she whispers, and then she kisses him. She kisses him till she can't breathe and then she kisses him some more till her head spins.