47

"Do my boots match my dress?" Evelyn asks as she stands in front of the mirror while Hazel finishes her hair. "They do, I promise. There, all done," Hazel steps back and looks at Evelyn. "Thank you," Evelyn says excitedly. "So what do you think?" she asks giving Hazel a twirl. "Lovely, just lovely, Miss Evelyn," Hazel says. "Ok, let's go," she says walking out of her room, Hazel following. When they get to the top of the stairs she peeps down and then takes a step back. "He is down there, just waitin'," she says. Hazel chances a look and sees a very stressed-looking Austin sitting on an armchair, his elbows on his knees as he studies his Stetson in his hands. She steps back and nods to Evelyn. "He will be fine, I promise," she says. Evelyn takes a deep breath and smooths down her hair and dress and then takes a step forward. "Dad," she says. Austin jumps up and moves to stand at the bottom of the stairs, looking up at her. Then suddenly all the other cowboys appear behind him, looking just stressed. Evelyn looks back at Hazel who smiles and gives her a nod. Then she takes a few steps and stops mid-way on the stairs.

Austin is looking at her with a straight sullen face and Hazel starts to think he might just drain this whole thing with a tantrum and send Evelyn back up to her room. But then he climbs up the steps till he is at eye level with her, playing with his Stetson nervously and takes a deep breath. "Some times I think you are growin' up too quickly for your old man...but...you look lovely, Miss Evelyn. Like a true southern lady. Have...have fun tonight. But please do remind little Jimmy that I will be watchin'," he says softly. "You loved me first, I know," she says then kisses him on the cheek. She steps past him and walks down to the cowboys who all echo Austin's words about how lovely she looks. Hazel walks down the steps and stops next to Austin. He looks at her and then places his hat on her head. "This betta not go belly up, Miss Hazel, as we are already fightin'," he says. Hazel lets out a little laugh and then kisses his cheek. "Silly cowboy," she says then walks the rest of the stairs and follows everyone out to their trucks.

The country fair is much bigger and much busier than Hazel expected. Evelyn explains that it is one of the biggest events in their little town, even people from Salt Lake City come to the fair. They end up having to park some distance away and have to walk to the gates. The rest of the cowboys disappear to meet their woman and soon it's just Hazel, Austin, and Evelyn. Evelyn's hand firmly in Austins. As they approach the entrance Hazel hears Austin groan and when she looks up she sees Jimmy standing, waiting for Evelyn. "Just breath," Hazel whispers to him. When Jimmy sees Evelyn he stands straighter and smiles at her. "Burt, ma'am," Austin greets Jimmy's parents and Burt echoes his greeting. Jimmy takes a step forward and holds out his hand to Austin. "Sir," he says. Hazel wants to melt at how cute he is, the kid certainly has guts. Austin looks down at Jimmy with a stern face and Hazel taps his arm. Austin sighs and then takes Jimmy's hand and shakes it. "Jimmy," he says his voice tight.

Then Jimmy takes his Stetson off and looks at Evelyn. "Miss Evelyn you look lovely tonight. Would you like to ride the rides with me?" he asks. "Yes, thank you," she says then takes a step forward. "Dad. Let go," she whispers and Hazel has to tap his arm again. He begrudgingly lets her hand go. Austin lets Jimmy and Evelyn walks forward a few paces then follows, Burt falling into step with him. Jimmy's mother then falls into step next to Hazel. "Hi, I am June," she says. "Hazel. Nice to meet you," Hazel says. "You too. I had not realized Austin had a woman," June says. "It's...new," Hazel answers. "Well whatever it is, it's softened some of Austin's sharp edges. I nearly fainted when my Jimmy told me was taking Miss Evelyn to the fair," June says. Hazel smiles at her." You've got a sweet boy there," she says. "Stubborn as an ox too," June replies. Hazel laughs again, "Must be something in the water around here," she says. June laughs and nods. They come to a stop at the first ride and Austin steps forward. "Do you need money?" he asks. "No, Sir, I worked the field all day. I made sure I have enough," Jimmy says before he and Evelyn climb onto the ride. Hazel can see that Austin is impressed, but he hides it. Hazel chats with Bert and June while Jimmy and Evelyn ride, Austin says nothing as he stares at the ride.

Once done they hop off, laughing, and run to the next ride. Burt and June excuse themselves then Hazel has to run to catch up to Austin as he follows Jimmy and Evelyn. She slips her hand into Austins and that's that for the fair. She and Austin silently follow Jimmy and Evelyn around while they laugh and chat. Hazel sees Evelyn glance at her father every now and then but she just rolls her eyes fondly. She knows it's difficult for him and she can see he is trying very hard not to call an end to this fiasco.

"Ooh, can I get some cotton candy?" Hazel asks as they walk past a cotton candy stand. "No," Austin grumbles. "but-" she starts but is cut off when Austin yanks her forward to the next ride. She needs to do something so she digs her heels in and yanks back. Austin stops and looks at her with a frown. "You are doing too much. If we stand here we can see them on all the rides. This is a date for us too and you are being a rather rubbish date," she says sternly. Austin looks back at the ride Evelyn and Jimmy just climbed on then back at Hazel. "Fine," he grumbles. "Cotten candy please," Hazel says. Austin sighs and then leads her back to the stand where he buys her cotton candy. Hazel then convinces him to try and win her a bear, and soon Austin relaxes a little and even gives her a little smile.