43

Evelyn is up in her room getting dressed and the cowboys have all left to go back to the cattle, leaving only Austin, Hazel, and Linda in the kitchen. "A cowgirl without her hat is just a girl," Hazel says softly. Linda stops washing the breakfast dishes and looks between Hazel and Austin with big eyes. Austin looks up from his coffee and stares down at Hazel. Shit. Maybe she should not have said anything, Austin does not look impressed with her at all. "Ok, I am ready," Evelyn announces as she walks back into the kitchen. Austin downs the rest of his coffee then stands and places his Stetson firmly on his head then walks to the kitchen door. He then stops in the doorway and looks back at Evelyn. "Don't forget your hat, girl," he says then steps out. Evelyn squeals and grabs her hat then runs out the door after her father. "Miss Hazel," Linda says stopping Hazel as she is walking out the door. "Austin does not give respect easily...I hope you deserve that respect," she says quietly.

Hazel feels sick. She does not and one day when it all comes out, he will never look at her the same way again. "Come on!" Evelyn shouts out the back truck window and Hazel pushes down her worry, running out to the truck. She opens the passenger door but before she can get in Christmas Dinner beats her to it. Flapping his wings and gobbling franticly as he causes pandemonium as he shoves his body into the truck. Hazel can hear Evelyn giggling and encouraging him while Austin does not sound as pleased. "What is happening? Damit! I will cook this dam turkey, I swear!" he complains as Christmas Dinner continues to shove his body into the back seat with Evelyn. Once he is settled Hazel gets in and smiles at Austin as she dusts off a few lost turkey features from his shoulder while he glares at her. "Drive, rancher," she says putting her seatbelt on. Austin shakes his head then turns forward and puts the truck into drive.

The town is busy, much busier than the last time she was here, but then again, the last time she had been in town it was very early in the morning. Austin parks outside Tina's store then Hazel and Evelyn fuss with tying a string around Christmas Dinner's neck while Austin watches, once done Hazel looks at Austin with a grin. "You done?" he asks. "Yup," she says. They turn to walk into Tina's shop but are stopped when they hear someone call Evelyn. It's a young boy and his father. The boy takes off his stetson and holds it to his chest. "Mornin', Miss Evelyn," the boy says. "Hi," Evelyn says shly. Oh, what's going on here? "Austin...ma'am," the boy's father tips his hat at Austin and Hazel. Austin gives him a sharp nod, "Burt," he greets back. "I like your Stetson," the boy says to Evelyn. Evelyn touches her hat and her cheeks blush a little. "Thank you, Jimmy," she says and giggles a little. Hazel looks at Austin and he looks unimpressed. Oh...ooooh! Hazel knows what's going on here. "You going to the county fair tomorrow?" Jimmy asks. Evelyn looks up at her father. "No," Austin says, his voice tight. Everyone shuffles a little uncomfortably. "I...I haven't been to a county fair. I would like to go," Hazel says. Austin looks at her, his eyes annoyed and his mouth in a thin line then he sighs. "Fine," he says, his voice still right. Evelyn smiles and then looks back to Jimmy who now is grinning too. "Well, I hope to see you there," he says then puts his Stetson back on his head and looks up at Austin and Hazel. "Sir, ma'am," he greets and then turns, walking off with his chuckling father.

Evelyn spins around and looks at Hazel with dancing eyes. "Oh, miss Evelyn, I do believe you have a date," Hazel says Evelyn giggles and cups her cheeks. "You will need a new dress," Hazel says excitement creeping into her voice. "Really?" Evelyn says with a little jump. "Yes. Come on," Hazel says taking her hand and then passing Christmas Dinner's string to Austin. "We have work to do," Austin grumbles. "Go do your work. We will find you when we are done," Hazel says reaching up and kissing him on his cheek, "don't be grumpy, baby," she whispers then turns and rushes across the street with Evelyn. The first few shops they go into have rubbish choices but eventually, they find a shop that has a dress that makes Evelyn's eyes light up. Hazel waits patiently by the dressing room while Evelyn changes. "Ok...are you ready?" Evelyn calls out. "I am ready!" Hazel calls back.

Evelyn opens the door carefully and steps out, her face a little unsure of herself. "Wow," Hazel breathes out. "Evelyn, you look lovely in that dress," Hazels says. She is emotional, why is she so emotional? Evelyn's smile breaks into a smile, "you really think so?" she asks looking down and smoothing out the soft yellow cotton dress. Hazel stands and turns her to look at herself in the mirror. "I could put plats in your hair and pull it back like this," Hazel says moving her hair. "We can paint your nails to match the dress too if you like," Hazel says. Evelyn turns and wraps her arms around Hazel's waist. "Thank you, Miss Hazel," she whispers. Hazel has to swallow the lump in her throat. Shit. Why is she so emotional?

They find Austin in Tina's shop. He seems to be in a slightly better mood. "I heard Jimmy asked you on a date, miss Evelyn," Tina says with a smile. "It's not a date," Austin mumbles as he picks up a bag of feed. Tina winks at Evelyn who smiles back at her then picks up a box and carries it out to the truck. Hazel walks up to Tina and sees a bag of peaches on her counter. "Those look good," she says. "They are Austin's. He said he had a hankering for peaches," Tina says pushing the bag toward her. "See you at the fair?" Hazel asks. "Miss Hazel, I would not miss for the world," she says smiling at her. Hazel hears the truck hooter and grabs the bag of peaches. "Goodbye, Miss Hazel, and if I had not told you before I will tell you now - I really like having you around," Tina says.