50

"We will clear all the hay out, hang flowers from the rafters, with lights...those soft yellow ones so it will be romantic," Tina says. "You can put tables over there and the dance floor over there," Hazel suggests and Tina nods in agreement. "Oh and an arch up there so we can say our vows under it," Tina adds. "Yes. It will look beautiful, Tina," Hazel says and Tina giggles, she looks so happy. "You called Austin brother...I didn't know you were siblings," Hazel says as she sits on a hay bale. "We are not, well not by blood anyway...my mother died when I was a baby, and then my father died when I was just a teen. Austin looked after me. He worked my father's land and tried to teach me but ranching is not for everyone so I sold it to him and bought my shop. He broke down the fence and my father's land became part of Cottonwood...I am pretty proud to be connected to Cottonwood," she explains sitting down next to Hazel. "But...why did Ace ask Austin if he could marry you? Why did you want his blessing?" Hazel asks. "Cottonwood is not just a ranch, miss Hazel. It's a family. Austin is the head and he has earned that place. Jack respects him and what he has built here... it's the same for all those cowboys. Austin is the cowboy all cowboys dream of being as little boys. I trust Austin...if he had said no I would not marry Jack," Tina says looking down and rubbing her belly. "He is a hard man...but he loves his family fearsly. We will always be safe with him," she adds as an afterthought.

They both look up as they hear someone in the doorway. It's Jack and Austin. "Miss Tina...if you are ready I would really like to get some food in that belly of yours," Jack says quietly. Tina hugs Hazel, "thank you," she whispers then stands and lets Jack help her onto his horse. "ma'am," Jack tips his head at Hazel and then they gallop off. Austin dismounts lightning and walks over and sits next to Hazel quietly. She slips her fingers into his and leans into him a little. "Once they are married I will put the fences back up and give them Tina's father's land. That was always my plan for her. Jack will work the land well...he is a good man," Austin says. Geez if that's Austin's reaction to a good man she would hate to see what happens when a bad man messes with his family. She cups his cheek and turns him to look at her. He doesn't have a scratch from the fight. "You are a good man. But please don't do that again...you scared me and Jack never stood a chance," she whispers. Austin looks at her then leans down and kisses her.

The sudden thundering of frantic hooves has Austin pulling away and looking to the barn door. Ace appears, worry streaking his face. "Rancher, come quick, it's Evelyn," he says then turns his restless horse and bolts back from where he came. Austin moves like lightning, grabbing Hazel and hauling them both up onto Lightning before he sends him bolting forward. Hazel clings to him with her heart in her mouth, praying for the first time for Lightning to go faster. If anything had to happen to...she can't bear to finish the thought. Austin halts Lightning then jumps off and Hazel watches him sprint to where Zip is lying on his side while Evelyn is cradling his head sobbing. Hazel is frozen as she watches Austin check over Zip while the cowboys stand with fallen faces around them. Evelyn strokes Zip's face and kisses him as she cries. Eventually, Austin stands and looks back at Hazel, with the look on his face Hazel's heart drops. It's bad. Very bad.

Austin knees down beside Evelyn and touches her arm softly. Hazel can hear Evelyn begging her father to do something but Austin only shakes his head sadly. "I am sorry, my heart, but he has gone," Austin says softly. Hazel's heart breaks as her chin wobbles when she hears the painful cry that erupts from Evelyn's belly as she leans over Zip's face and clings to him. Austin gives her a moment then gathers her in his arms, she clings to her father, her knuckles white. Hazel does not think she has ever witnessed so much pain. Austin whispers something to her and Evelyn gives him a little nod as he rocks her. When Hazel looks at the others she sees they are all emotional. Eventually, when Evenly's cries have softened somewhat Austin stands with her still in his arms and then walks slowly over to Hazel. When he looks up at her she can see that his eyes are wet too.

He hands Eveyln carefully up to Hazel who takes her and holds her close as she cries into her chest. "Take them home," he whispers to Lightning then taps him on the rump and Lightning moves forward in a careful walk. Hazel has never ridden Lightning without Austin and now she realizes just what a mammoth horse he is. He feels like a powerful beast between her legs, yet he is carrying them with such care. By the time they get back to the house, Evelyn has cried herself to sleep and Linda is waiting for them with tear-streaked cheeks. She takes Evelyn carefully from Hazel as Hazel climbs down and hands her back as Evelyn starts to fuss and reach out for Hazel. Hazel walks slowly up the stairs and places herself and Evelyn on Austin's bed. Evelyn drifts between sleep and awake crying bitterly into Hazel's chest every time she wakes. Hazel soothes as best she can, but her heart aches for the little girl in her arms who has lost not only her closest friend but her last connection to her grandmother.

It's dark by the time Hazel hears Austin slip quietly into the room. Evelyn has cried so much that she has finally fallen into a deep sleep. Austin looks at her with a sad face, he is caked in mud. He disappears again then Hazel can hear the shower running, when he comes back he climbs carefully into the bed and lies on his side facing Hazel, Evelyn between them. Hazel wipes a tear that slips out of his eye and watches him as he watches her back. "There are just some things I can't protect her from," he says softly. Hazel rests her hand on his cheek, he looks so sad. She wants to tell him it will be fine, that Zip was just a horse and they can get another one. But she knows it doesn't work like that, Zip was much more than that. What happens now is between Evelyn and the ranch.

Hazel watches Austin until his eyes close and then she lets her own eyes slip shut.