19

6:30 am and Hazel's alarm screams at her. What the fuck is going in? Who the fuck is touching her alarm? She sits up in bed and grabs it, checking it to see if there is some magical switch that can shut the offending sound off. She has never been awake at this hour even when she is clubbing. It's just ridiculous. "You are ridiculous. I hate you," she says to the alarm clock then she hears a little giggle to her side so she turns and sees Evelyn curled up on her large windowsill with a book in her hands. "Morning, what are you doing there?" Hazel asks. Evelyn closes her book and climbs onto Hazel's bed. "Dad said you would be awake at 6:30 and that I could stay back and start my day with you. I am awake every day at 4 am so I got dressed and came to read my book in your room. I hope you don't mind," she says. "I don't mind. So...your dad knew I would be awake at 6:30, huh?" Hazel asks poking at Christmas dinner who looks dead again. "Yup, he said you would be awake and rearing to go. Best get ready," Evelyn says happily. Hazel would get up but Austin's shirt is a little inappropriate so she keeps herself hidden under the duvet.

"Hey, uh, I could really do with a coffee," she says. Evelyn's face lights up and she jumps off the bed causing a bounce in the mattress to shake Christmas Dinner awake with a shocked gobble. "Sorry, turkey - I didn't mean to wake you but I did think you were dead," Evelyn says. "His name is Christmas Dinner," Hazel informs her. "That's messed up," Evelyn says with a raised brow. "Also, dad never allows anyone to name any of the animals on the ranch, except the horses...but he also never let anyone bring one of the animals into the house before either and I don't ever remember him letting a stranger into the house either. So I don't know what's going on with him. Anyway, you get dressed and I will make you coffee for our first round before breakfast - there is lots to do and we are losing daylight," Evelyn says then dashes out of Hazel's room.

"Losing daylight to do fucking what?" she asks herself as she throws the duvet off and then groans as her feet hit the ground. Her feet feel like they are standing on pins, and every muscle in her body feels like it was bashed by that hook hammer Austin wielded the day before. She thought walking the streets of New York was a feat but it has nothing on a day on Austin's ranch. It takes her forever to get dressed as every movement she makes is agony. "Don't judge me," she says to Christmas Dinner and  slowly gets down on all fours to pull Cathy out from under the bed. She holds her up to show Christmas Dinner who cocks his head and gobbles inquisitively. Hazel sighs and looks at the coffee can. "One day when I have the balls, CD, I will tell you who is in here and what a shit storm I have found myself in. Cathy...I think I may be just a tiny bit fucked here," she says and then puts Cathy back under the bed. She has only been here for two days and already she knows something has changed - her plan now has very real consequences and very real people who will be very hurt when the truth comes out. Austin has lowered a wall or two and Evelyn trusts her like one would a new best friend.

Hazel feels nauseated at how hollow and stupid her plan is, she honestly did not think she would get this far. But the plan is in motion now and there is no going back. If she tells Austin who she really is and what she is really doing here he will run her out of town...he will run her out of town either way once he finds out but at least this way she stands a chance of getting to know Evelyn...and Austin. Christmas Dinner gobbles next to her and lays his head on her shoulder. "I am as fucked as a turkey on Christmas day...no offense, CD."

Hazel stands when she hears Evelyn calling up to her from downstairs. She makes her way downstairs and is grateful when she is handed a flask of coffee by Evelyn. "We better hurry. Those heifers and calves wait for no one," she says grabbing her rhinestone stetson that is hanging next to Hazels. Hazel's body hurts but it hurts less with each step she takes thankfully stretching out her tight muscles. Evelyn's horse is waiting outside for them, it's a lot smaller than Austin's and now that Hazel thinks about it all the horses are smaller than Austins. Stop thinking of Austin, dam it. Evelyn mounts her horse and then pats the back of her saddle. "Come on, ma'am, Zip is just waitin' for ya," she says with a wide smile. "I take it that Zip is the name of your horse," Hazel says walking up to Evelyn and handing her flask to her. Evelyn nods with a smile.

Hazel grabs the saddle and tries to pull herself up but her body is in so much pain she can't even manage a small hop off the ground. She tries twice more and is about to give up when suddenly she feels two big hands slide onto her hips and then she is being hoisted up and onto the back of Evelyn's saddle. Once seated she looks down and sees Austin. "You're up early," he says with a smirk. Hazel rolls her eyes and looks ahead, taking her coffee flask from Evelyn. "Do you need me to-" he starts but Evelyn cuts him off. "Good day to you, Sir!" she says.

"Evelyn-"

"I said, Good day, Sir!"

She clicks her tongue and starts walking her horse forward. Hazel chances a sly look back and sees Austin watching them walk away while he sucks his lips in to hide his fond laugh.