34

Hazel wakes at the soft crunching of leaves. She sees Ace walking back into the camp and then sitting down on a log near the still-burning fire. Her back is cold and when she turns she sees Austin is no longer there. She stands and wraps her blanket around her then walks over to Ace. "Hi,” she says softly. Ace looks up at her "ma’am,” he greets her. Ma’am? She sounds like an old lady. "Austin is up on that hill. He has taken over the watch,” he says pointing behind her. Hazel turns and can only just make out a lone figure sitting on a distant hill. "What is he watching for?” she asks. "Coyotes, mountain lion...dangers. We are in the wild, ma’am,” he says with a soft chuckle. Hazel turns back to look at Ace. "I know I have not earned my place here...but I am trying...if you will give me a chance I would very much appreciate it,” she says. Ace stands and brushes the dirt off his pants. "Ma’am, I have never thought myself above anyone. I am just a ranch hand, a cowboy. Prove your worth to the ranch and you will have my loyalty. But you have worn my rancher's hat and for that, I will be respectful of you,” he says and then turns walking off to lie down. Worn his rancher's hat? Cowboys talk in riddles and Hazel has no fucking idea what it means. She turns and starts walking up to join Austin. As she is climbing the hill she stops. She can hear the faint sound of music. They are in the middle of nowhere, she must be going crazy. She shakes her head and continues climbing but the music gets louder as she climbs eventually once at the top she realizes it's Austin who is singing. His back is to her and he is strumming softly on a guitar as he sings. Evelyn had been right, Austin's voice is beyond anything she has heard before – a low rumbling sound like rolling thunder. It gives her goosebumps. She moves a little closer but does not disturb him, letting his voice consume her as she listens to the words.

Daylight had spoken
So clear and so plain
I'm the keeper of nothing
But an old flame
Consuming the shadows
Caught in the light
Blinded by hunger
And fed to the night

And darlin', you came to me
Like a dream in this endless blight

My heart was reaching
So tangled and twined
Like vines in the willows
Serpentine killer
Bound by its climb
Glory was calling
She wailed and she whined
Higher and higher
Leave it all behind

And darlin', you came to me
In the glory I'd longed to find

My search was unending
And my soul was bare
And darlin' you came to me
Like a midnight flare
Out o'er the ocean
The stars had all gone
My heart was broken
Lost and alone

Darlin', you came to me
Like a beacon leading me home

(Daylight by Watchhouse)

Eventually, he stops and puts the guitar down next to him. "I can hear you breathing,” he says quietly without turning around. Hazel should have known his ears are like a hawk's. He probably heard her when she was still at the bottom of the hill. She walks around him and then with a boost of courage she sits, staddled on his lap. He doesn't push her off and Hazel can feel the electricity between them as that vacuum starts to swirl around them again. "Ace said something...I hope you can interpret it for me. He said I wore his rancher's hat.  What does that mean?” she asks. Austin lifts his head and looks at her with hooded eyes from under his Stetson. "A rancher's hat is an extension of himself. A pound of flesh,” he says. "You put your hat on my head at the waterfall,” Hazel says. "Aye, I did,” Austin confirms, watching her for a moment then he speaks again, "if you are wearing my hat we are either fightin' or fuckin'." Hazel can't tear her eyes away from him and her heart is racing so fast she thinks she just might pass out. Then, carefully and slowly, she lifts her hands taking his Stetson and placing it just as carefully on her head. "We are not fighting," she whispers. "Then we are fuckin'," he says grabbing her sides and reaching up to kiss her. Hazel's stomach swoops at his words and at the taste of his tongue in her mouth. It's a dirty kiss, nothing sweet about it and Hazel knows that there is only one way this kiss is going - he made that very clear...so did she.

He takes his time with the kiss and while Hazel likes that very much, she is desperate to get this moving along so she reaches down and undoes the top button on her pants. Austin detaches his lips from hers and looks down then back up with a smirk. Hazel stands and then slowly pulls down her zip as Austin watches, his eyes locked on hers. Then she lets her pants drop and she watches as he tries to keep his eyes on hers, but he fails and they drift down her body till they are locked on the soft skin of her inner thighs. Then she slowly hooks her thumbs into her underwear and pushes them down, letting them fall to her ankles. "Come here," he says, his voice raspy. She climbs back onto him and chortles when he attaches his lips to a sensitive spot on her neck. She reaches between her legs and undoes the buttons on his pants, reaching in and grabbing hold of him. He is big and as hard as steel. Fuck. She lifts herself causing Austin to detach his lips from her neck, looking up at her as she shuffles forward slightly and aligning herself with him.

Then Hazel watches him as she starts to slowly sink onto him. His eyes roll and he lets out a guttural, satisfied growl then curls his fingers around the nape of her neck and pulls her down to kiss him. They both groan as she takes him in all the way and then lifts herself again, coming down a little harder. He lets her bounce until he can feel her getting tired then he places his hands on her hips and helps her. He pushes her down harder and makes her go faster as he drives deeper into her. He is big and Hazel lets out a whine as she stretches around him, she is not sure how she is taking in all of him if she is being honest. She can feel her orgasm start and for the first time in her life she hopes it takes its time before it hits - she doesn't want to stop. Austin feels amazing. "How are you so hard?" she breathes out then groans as she slams down onto him again. "Vegetables," he mumbles and Hazel can't help the laugh that tumbles out. But then she looks up at the sky as her orgasm suddenly hits from nowhere, it makes her body go ridged and then shake as she opens her mouth in a silent scream. "Beautiful," Austin breathes out, pushing his face into her chest and releases into her. Thank fuck for the contraception or she would be pregnant with a thousand babies.