37

The sun feels like lava on Hazel's face, she is covered in dust and her muscles are screaming at her. Yesterday had been hard today but today had broken her. Hazel wants to cry from sheer exhaustion. Evelyn demanded perfection on her cattle drive and worked them hard. She had successfully kept the herd grouped, whistling out and even growling at the cowboys when she felt their lines were not tight enough. Only once during the drive did she turn back to her father for guidance, but other than that she had remained in control of the herd getting them all to the west pasture by the late afternoon under her father's watchful eye. "We will set up camp there," Evelyn says pointing to a clump of trees near the river. "Ellis, Jack, Ace, and Hamish you do a walk through the herd and check all is well. Pop, Josh, and Matt you set up camp. Dad, take miss Hazel to the river, she has had enough for one day," she commands. Austin chuckles as he turns Lighting and walks him to a secluded spot on the river. He dismounts and then lifts his arms to help Hazel down. "I can't move," she says shaking her head. "Come on, darlin'," he says reaching up and pulling her down carefully. She cries in pain, her muscles feel like they have exploded in her body. "Hush now," Austin soothes her as he lets her hide her face in his chest. "Get undressed, the water will soothe your broken body," he says then lets her go. Hazel tries to undo the button on her pants but her shaking fingers make it impossible.

Austin takes pity on her and takes over, undressing her carefully till she only has her underwear on. Then he carefully lifts her and carries her to the river's edge, placing her down. The cold water licks at her toes and although it's icy she welcomes it. She lets go of Austin and wades into the water until it is deep enough for just her head to poke out then she turns around to look for Austin. He is busy removing Lightings saddle and harness. Once done he taps his butt and lightning walks into the river. Hazel expects him to stop near her but he keeps on going till he gets out the other side, shakes off the excess water, and then gallops off. By the time Hazel looks back, Austin is already undressed and wading to her. He sinks into the water in front of her and watches her carefully. Hazel, painfully, takes her Stetson off and places it on his head. He looks at her with a raised brow. "We are fighting," she says then turns and swims away from him. Once she is about ten meters away from him she stops and sits back down. He knew this would be too hard for her yet he still insisted she come with him. This morning she believed there was a chance he wanted her here but after today she is convinced he is trying to get rid of her.

She feels Austin come up quietly behind her, circling her with his arms carefully then planting a kiss on her shoulder. "You knew this would be too much for me," she says suppressing the sob that's threatening in her chest. "I knew," he said and kisses her other shoulder. "You knew this would break my body," she says. "I knew," he says kissing her neck. "You knew my heart would break at the things we would have to do...those cows," she says. "I knew," he says and kisses the other side of her neck. "Then why?" she asks. Austin slides his hand down her stomach and dips his hand into her underwear then pushes two fingers into her. Her body reacts immediately and she shivers as she groans letting her head fall back onto his shoulder as he dips his fingers in and out of her. "Cowboys work hard, play well and love soft, darlin'," he whispers as he starts rubbing circles with his thumb. She lets out a puff of air and whimpers, sliding her hand over his and prompting him to go deeper. He does and then moves his hand up to her neglected breasts, kneading at them as her nipples pebble and she whimpers again. "Tell me you regret coming, tell me this river doesn't call your name...tell me your heart doesn't flutter when the wind whips at your face while Lighting carries us," he whispers. "I can't," Hazel breathes out. "You can't because cowboys are not made, they are born. Be it in the country or the city...they always find the cattle," he whispers. "I am not a cowboy," she huffs out, her chest heaving as her orgasm slowly starts to wind its way up her spine. "Boy, girl...it does not matter the pull to the prairie is the same," he whispers. Hazel's head falls forward, her nose almost touching the water and her eyes squeezing shut as she climaxes - Austin continuing to stroke her till the very end.

She breathes heavily into the water, watching it ripple from her breath as Austin lets her go and moves around her. He takes her legs and starts gently kneading her painful muscles as he had done the day before. Hazel slowly raises her head and looks at him. "You look silly in my hat, it's too small for your head," she says. Austin chuckles and looks up at her. "Has nothing to do with the size and everything to do with the ridiculous rhinestones," he says then looks down at his kneading hands again. "Do you really think I am a cowgirl at heart?" she whispers. "Aye," he says keeping his eyes on his hands. "How can you be so sure?" she asks. He stops and looks up at her, his eyes serious. "Because you are still here," he says then puts her Stetson back on her head. She wraps her arms around his neck and hugs him tight as he moves them so she is sitting on his lap with her legs wrapped around his waist. "You were testing me? Seeing if I would stay?" she asks pulling away slightly so she can look at him. Austin gives her a sharp nod. "Did I pass?" she asks. "Am I still here?" he counters. Hazel smiles and then connects their lips and kisses him till she can't breathe anymore.

She pulls back and then frowns when Austin grins at her like he has a secret. "Wh-" she starts but is cut off when Austin flicks off her hat and then dunks her head under the water. She tumbles and gets the breath knocked out of her from the cold water, coming up and gulping for air as she breaks the surface. She immediately starts searching for Austin who is now standing, holding her Stetson and laughing. "You asshole," she laughs out then stands and runs for him but he catches her and throws her away, back into the water. She comes up again and grabs his wrist, digging her nails into his skin. "Aah, fuck! Those fucking nails, woman!" he shouts, and then they scuffle, both falling back into the water as they laugh. Hazel comes up first but Austin is close behind her, grabbing her and dunking her again. She can't catch her breath because she is laughing so much then Austin takes pity on her and pulls her out. "Truce," she begs as Austin wraps her in his arms and kisses her with laughing eyes.

Austin retrieves her Stetson that has floated away and then they both wade out of the water and dress back on the river bank. "What about Lightning?" Hazel asks as they start walking back to camp. "There is a band of wild horses on the other side of the river, my guess is he has gone to visit his girl for the evening," he says with a wink.