48

"Dad!" Evelyn shouts as she and Jimmy come running up to them laughing. "Pops took a wager with old man Cally and is going to ride the bull," she says. "That old man will see an early grave," Austin says standing from the table he, Hazel, Burt, and June were sitting at. He takes Hazel's hand and they follow Evelyn and Jimmy back from where they came. Most of the fair seems to have abandoned the rides in favor of the two men fulfilling their wager. Austin pushes through the crowd to the front and Hazel sees Mr. Post and another man standing next to two mechanical bulls, serious game faces on. "Pops," Austin greets and warns at the same time. "Now don't ya go preachin', boy. At this age all a man's got is his honor," Mr. Post says keeping his eyes on old man Cally. "You stubborn old coot," Evelyn says from beside her father. Austin shrugs then stands back and gestures with his hand for them to continue. "You just going to leave him to get on that thing? What if he breaks his neck?" Hazel hisses. "He has been bull ridin' since he was five. If he breaks his neck now it's long overdue," Austin says.

Tina steps forward out of the crowd and raises her right hand then Hazel watches as both men climb onto their bulls. Mr. Post moves his body forward in the saddle and squeezes it with his thighs. He grabs the handle with his right hand and then raises his left - old man Cally does the same. "You have to stay on longer than eight seconds. Ain't no honor in less time than that. The last man on his bull wins," Tina shouts and then drops her hand. The bulls suddenly come to life as the crowd around them cheers loudly. Hazel holds her breath. The bulls shake, twist, and buck as the two old men hold on for dear life. Then suddenly old man Cally is thrown off and lands with a thud on the mat below and the crowd gives a united, "Oooh," in sympathy. Mr. Post, however, lets out a howled laugh and then holds out his middle finger with his free hand to old man Cally as he continues to ride his bull - no signs of slowing down the crowd cheers him on loudly. "Crazy old ass," Austin chuckles and shakes his head. When the bull eventually stops Mr. Post gets off and walks over to old man Cally offering him his hand, and pulling him up. They embrace, hugging and patting each other on the back. "They don't make em' like they do in Cottonwood that's for sure," old man Cally laughs out then the crowd cheers the two men as they walk off to find a cold beer.

"Dad, he stayed on for a full fifteen seconds," Evelyn breaths out clearly impressed by her grandfather. Austin laughs, "That's nothin', I once saw him stay on for twenty-one seconds," he says still laughing. "Miss Evelyn, the band is startin'. Would you like to dance with me?" Jimmy asks suddenly. Austin stops laughing. Evelyn nods and they turn to walk toward the band. Hazel stifles her giggle then pulls a now very grumpy-looking Austin to the band too. They watch as Evelyn and Jimmy stop in the middle of the dancing crowd and look at each other awkwardly. Then Evelyn places her hands on Jimmy's shoulders. Jimmy wipes his sweaty palms on his pants and, slowly, places his hands on her sides. Arms length apart they start shuffling their feet, smiling sweetly at each other. "They will be married in the spring," Tina says coming up beside Hazel and Austin with Jack. "Tina...I am not above hittin' a woman right now," Austin grumbles as Tina giggles. Mags comes up on the other side of them with Ace and gives a little laugh. "What did you expect? She is going to be a beauty one day...better lock that barn," she says, both she and Tina let out a cackle while Austin looks like he just might cry. "Don't tease, it's been a rough night for him," Hazel says as kindly as she can but has to hide her laugh as she looks at Tina. She steps in front of Austin and takes both his hands pulling him slightly. "Come dance with me," she says softly, hearing Jan snort near her and whisper, "Austin doesn't dance," under her breath. Austin looks unsure as his eyes flick over to Evelyn and Jimmy then back to her. She gives him another little tug and then he relents and follows her onto the dance floor.

Hazel picks a spot that is some distance away from Evelyn but is still close enough for Austin to see her. Then she places his Stetson back on his head, puts her hand on his shoulder, and takes his hand in hers. Austin watches her then slowly she feels his arm curls around her waist and pull her tight to his chest. She can't help her giggle, she feels a little giddy in his arms as he sways her with a soft smile playing on his lips. "Rhinestone hats and boots, nail polish, dresses...boys. I am beginning to regret keeping you around, ma'am," Austin says.

Ma'am...Austin called her ma'am. Hazel feels like a fraud. Because she is. She has Austin's respect and she knows it's his way of telling her how he feels about her - she is more than just a woman that showed up on his ranch one day. He expects this to go somewhere, to be something, and Hazel? Well, she wants the same thing. Is that crazy? She has only known Austin for days...days, but she knows right now, right here as he sways her softly to the music that she could never live without him, without Evelyn. She knows that she fell in love with him out there on the road while she stood, red-faced and angry the first time they met.

She is in love with him.

She has to tell him, they are in too deep and she is petrified of how it plays out because Austin holds tightly onto honor. It's the foundation on which Cottonwood ranch was built. She could keep her secret and pretend to be the woman Austin thinks she is, he will never know. But she will and if she loves both Evelyn and Austin the way she claims she does then she has to tell them. She readies herself and then looks up to tell him, but the words get caught in her throat. He is looking at her with so much adoration, so much care behind those beautiful blue eyes - it dam near breaks her heart. "Darlin', I am a proud man, a stubborn ass...but I ain't foolish enough to think I can go about this life without the touch of a woman...without your touch. I hardly know you, and I know it's crazy, but if you wanted to stay...with me...with Evelyn. I ain't stoppin' ya," he whispers. Hazel reaches up and kisses him, her wet cheeks be damed. Austin just laid his feeling out for her, clear as any cowboy can. She will tell him, just not tonight. She will take tonight and then in the morning she will tell him and when he explodes she will fight for him, she will never give up until she can make him understand and force him to forgive her.

"Hey, this is a family place," Tina says coming up beside them as Jack sways her. "Yeah, my innocent eyes," Mags says being swayed by Ace. Austin and Hazel break their kiss, laughing. "Finally got yourself a woman there, rancher," Tina says, and Mags giggles. "Don't you two have something better to do?" Austin asks with a smile. "Ain't nothing better than seeing Cottonwood blush," Ace says then realizes his mistake and looks away nervously as Tina, Hazel, and Mags erupt in laughter. Thankfully Austin is in a good mood and so he chuckles, relaxing Ace somewhat. But then Austin suddenly stiffens, "no," he breathes out. Everyone stops dancing and turns to where he is looking. They watch as Jimmy leans forward slowly and then plants a kiss on Evelyn's now rosy cheek. Tina, Mags, and Hazel all melt with little, "Awws," while Ace and Jack grunt disapprovingly. "That's enough now, darlin'," Austin says softly then turns and walks away.

Hazel giggles and then walks closer to Evelyn catching her attention. "Home time," she mouths, smiling. Evelyn nods then look back at Jimmy. She says good night and thanks him for having so much fun at the fair and greets his already waiting parents then she runs to Hazel with a gleeful face and takes her hand. She chats happily to Hazel as they make their way back to the car and to a relieved-looking cowboy who is just happy the night has finally come to an end.