28

6 am and her alarm blares. Heaven help the man who is tampering with the alarm. She sits up and comes face to face with Christmas dinner. "I am going to kill him. I swear, CD. That man is a full-blown dick. Who the fuck gets up at 6 am? It's fucking ridiculous," she groans rubbing sleep from her eyes then throws off the blanket when she hears a knock on her door. If that's him she is going to murder him...kiss him first but murder him nonetheless. She pulls open the door but it's just Linda. "I feel like we should be married with the number of times I've seen your nipples," she says holding out a cup of coffee. "This shirt is not far off the porn bikini you brought for me yesterday," Hazel bites back taking the coffee. "Oh I did not bring it for you," Linda says with a smile that's way too sly for so early in the morning.

"Oh? Who did you bring it for?"

"Austin. Heaven knows that man needed a little push," she says and walks off back down the stairs. Hazel closes her bedroom door and leans on it. She takes a sip of coffee and lets the hot liquid seep into her blood then pushes off the door and sits back on her bed, taking another sip and turning to look at Christmas Dinner.

"Did she just say that?"

Christmas Dinner gobbles then flops on his side, rolls over, and closes his eyes, legs in the air.

"Yeah, that's what I thought."

Before she takes another sip she hears another knock on the door. What does she want now? Hazel puts her coffee down and covers her front with a blanket - she limits her nipple flashes to once a day, it's just classy that way. She opens the door but her breath hitches when she sees it's Austin and not Linda. He is already dressed and she can see he has already been out on the ranch if his muddy boots are anything to go by. "You are getting mud in the house. You should take your boots off at the kitchen door...you all should," Hazel says before she can stop herself. This is not her house and she has no right to tell him how to run it. Austin looks down at his boots and then back at her then passes her a piece of paper. "It is 6:05 am, your alarm sounded at 6 am - you should be dressed already. Get what's on that list and make sure you are back before breakfast. Don't fuck around, I have a ranch to run," he says then turns and stomps down the stairs.

Hazel slams her door in anger. How dare he speak to her like that. She turns to get dressed but there is another knock on her door so she turns back around and opens it. It's Austin again and his eyes are firey. "Slam my doors again and you will get what's coming to ya," he growls. Hazel glares at him, takes a step back, and slams the bedroom door as hard as she can. Austin does not knock this time, he pushes the door open and storms into the room. She is ready for him, jumping up and wrapping her legs around his waist when he grabs her hips. He keeps walking till he slams her into the wall then he kisses her, pushing up against her. It's different from last night. Last night it was soft and tender, this morning is rough and lusty - amazing, Hazel can't get enough and whines when he suddenly pulls away. "Tantrums have consequences, darlin'. Get dressed, you are burning daylight," he says then stomps off down the stairs. Hazel needs a shower, she is sweating from all the adrenaline pumping through her veins.

She showers, dresses, and rushes out to the truck with Christmas Dinner trying with all his might to keep up with her. She waits for him to catch up to her when she gets to the truck then stands back while he causes a tornado as he gobbles and flaps his wings to get into the truck. She puts her foam back on the seat, pulls it forward, and drives off to town. Once in town, she parks in front of Tina's store and looks at the list. There are ten items on there - ranch shit. She sighs then gets out of the truck and goes into the store. Tina is helping a customer so she stands to the side and waits for her. "What are you doing here so early? Don't you lazy city folk only get up at like mid-day?" Hazel groans when she hears Jan's voice. It's too fucking early for this. "I get up when Austin rolls out of bed...I can't sleep when he detaches himself from me," she says turning to stare Jan down. Jan rolls her eyes and shakes her head.

"You are so full of shit. Austin hates cuddling."

"And how would you know?"

"Because we dated."

Jan's words hit her like a ton of bricks. Did they date? It should not upset her, Austin is a grown man she is sure there have been a string of women. But Jan? She must be lying. "I am going to be sniffing around till he gets tired of you then he will come back to me just like every other time," Jan spits out then turns on her heel and walks off. "Pay her no mind," Tina says coming up beside Hazel. "Is it true though? Did they date?" she asks, scared of the answer. "Austin has been through some shit and like a vulture, Jan is always ready and waiting to pick him up. They have never dated, Jan is full of shit," Tina says. Hazel frowns. "Have you two..." she does not finish her question but the implication is clear. Tina screws her face up and shakes her head. "No. Our mothers were best friends and so we grew up together, like siblings. Besides, Austin is not like that," Tina says. "Not like what?" Hazel asks. Tina groans and then takes the list from Hazel's hand.

"I have said too much already. Just ignore me...and Jan, she is no threat," Tina says looking at the list. Hazel snatches the list back and hides it behind her back. "Austin is not like what, Tina?"  she demands. "He has commitment issues. Ok. There, happy now?" Tina says trying to get the list back. "Commitment issues? Tina! Elaborate!" Hazel warns. "Ok, fine. Geeze! Austin has never had a serious relationship. He says he is not interested - too focused on Evelyn and that dam ranch."

"Is that what happened with Evelyn's mother?"

"He did not want a romantic relationship with her. But he was kind to her, he looked after her."

"Do you think that could ever change? The commitment thing?"

Jan smiles and takes the list from Hazel. "Up until three days ago I did not think so," she says with a wink and then turns to gather the things on the list for Austin.