23

Hazel doesn't think she has ever seen a more beautiful place. They are standing in what looks like a tropical clearing at the bottom of a waterfall, a large blue pool of water under it, and thick bush all around - hidden from the world. She had been so focused on Austin that she had not heard the rushing of water or the fine cool water mist that settles on her skin, but now she is captivated by the waterfall. "What is this place? It's amazing," she says. She can feel Austin chuckle behind her. "This is our backyard, darlin'," he says. "I have never seen anything like this before," Hazel says looking around in amazement still. "Yup, you would be hard-pressed to find this in the city...well, anywhere really," Austin says moving his horse slowly around the clearing. "How did you find this place? It's so hidden," she asks turning to Austin. He shrugs and looks back at her. "This ranch has been in my family for generations. My father grew up swimming here, as did I and now Evelyn.

"It's magical," Hazel says, her eyes flicking from Austins to his lips and then back to his eyes. He lets out a small laugh as he looks back at her. She can feel him leaning forward and her body seems to do the same like there is an invisible string coiling between them. As their lips inch closer Hazel feels like her whole body is vibrating with sexual tension and when she places her hand on Austin's pecks she knows he is feeling the same way, especially by the way his fingers dig softly into her hip. He wants her even if she can sense he is holding back. She does not blame him, he is a single father with plenty on his plate right now. He needs to weigh up all the decisions he makes. "You can kiss me if you like," Hazel whispers her stomach doing somersaults when Austin's eyes flick down to her lips as he runs his tongue over his bottom lip leaving it shiny and wet. Kiss me you bastard, hurry up. He inches forward and she can feel his lips only just bush hers. Yes.

But then he leans back and the vacuum that they had been pulled into evaporates as they hear the clomping of horses and the happy chatter of voices. Austin clears his throat and jumps off his horse, walking away without helping Hazel down like he normally would. "You alive? That competitive bastard," Mr. Post says with a chuckle as he brings his horse to a stop next to Hazel. "He gets that from his mother. She was competitive and tough as nails. Probably why he has one of the most successful ranches in Utah," he adds. Hazel smiles and looks over at Austin who is now offloading items from the back of the truck along with the other men. "My mother was pretty amazing too. She raised me on her own," Hazel says. "Well...she did a pretty good job if you ask me," Mr. Post says as he jumps down from his horse and walks over to Hazel, offering his hand to help her down.

Guilt.

Deception.

Self-centered hypocritical bitch.

Hazel is a fraud and she hates the way everyone here seems to have accepted her into their fold. No questions asked. "Can I ask you a question?" Hazel asks him as she lands on the floor.

"Shoot."

"You seem, still handsome and regal by the way, but you seem like you have lived life long enough to have a few pretty formidable lessons tucked under your belt."

"Ay, that I do."

"Well...have you ever found yourself in a situation that you feel like may...well, a situation that you thought could be good but...um...have you ever been in a place that you thought would be harmless but..."

"You want to stop and try that again, Miss?"

"Have you ever done something that you thought was not that bad...but just ended up making you feel like a fraud?"

Mr. Post looks at her for a beat or two then takes off his Stetson, it's old and weather-beaten with a few rips in it like his hands - a telltale sign of a man that has worked hard to build a life for his family. Mr. Post is his own man but he reflects an older version of Austin. His face showing his age and his eyes a playful blue. Hazel can tell that he had been a good father and grandfather through the years, and by the way he talks about Austin's mother Hazel bets he had been a good husband too, her own father is not even half the man. Mr. Post fiddles with his Stetson for a bit and then looks at Hazel again. "The lessons I have learned in life are my own, Miss Hazel. But what I can tell you is that if you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you need to do is to stop digging," he says then replaces his Stetson and tips it at her before he walks away.

He gives good advice and Hazel should take it. But then she hears Evelyn scream excitability and when she looks over Austin, who is in black swim shorts, is spinning her around and then he launches her in the air, she giggles as she flies until she is engulfed by the water. Austin jumps in after her, also laughing. Hazel will tell them soon. She will sit them down and explain what she is doing here and what Cathy said. But she can't do it right now when they are both so happy. She can't ruin their day like that. This is Evelyn's reward from Austin for all her hard work...it would be wrong to just rip it away from them, right? She will tell them, just not right now. Tomorrow. She will tell them tomorrow. Evelyn squeals again as Ace picks her up and throws her over to Austin who grabs her and chucks her back at Ace. She looks like a giggling football being thrown between them.

"You should join them," Linda says coming to stand next to Hazel. She shakes her head, "No...they are having a private moment. I don't want to intrude," she says. "Oh, sorry I had not realized you were as blind as a fucking bat," Linda says. Hazel turns to her with her mouth dropped open in shock. "Wh-" she starts to question but Linda cuts her off. "Austin is a private man, his life is a private place. Yet he let you walk in like you already owned it and now he has been side eyeing you every two seconds like you are going to suddenly disappear into thin air," she says. "Really? What? Oh never mind. I don't even have anything to swim in anyway," Hazel responds, a little frazzled at Linda's words. "Well, thank goodness for me," Linda says handing her a bag.