35

"Curl your fingers slightly and just move your hand up and down – like this,” Austin explains. Hazel copies his movements and runs her fingers along the strings of the guitar. She looks up with a proud grin when it makes a sound, no tune, but a sound nonetheless. Austin chuckles and points between his legs. Hazel shifts so her back is plastered to his chest as she settles between his legs. Austin reaches around her and grabs the long piece of the guitar, "This is the guitar neck,” then taps the big piece sitting on her lap, "and this is the body. A guitar is the same as a person – the neck does all the work while the body just follows. Move your hand over the strings like I said,” Hazel does and then watches Austin curl his fingers around the neck and press down on the strings at different places on the neck. Slowly Hazel can hear a real tune form. She is even sure she has heard the song before. "I am playing, baby,” she says without thinking and then feels Austin's sharp intake of breath. She is watching his fingers so carefully that she doesn't even realize dawn has broken on the horizon. "Look up, darlin’,” Austin whispers in her ear. Hazel lifts her head and has to push up his Stetson that has drooped over her eye line. Hazel lets out a soft, "wow," as she watches the rosy sun peep out from the horizon, golden fingers of light creeping slowly across the rolling fields below them. She has seen sunrises before but this one feels like a promise. A promise of a better life, a life full of meaning, of happiness...of Austin and his sweet little cowgirl. "It's gorgeous, I don't think I have ever seen something so beautiful," she whispers. "I used to think so too...but my eyes have seen another beauty, one so lovely it makes this sunrise appear dull," he says. Hazel turns to look at him, his soft blue eyes watching her. "I agree, Lightning does have a rather majestic quality about him," she teases. Austin's face breaks into a howling laughter as he throws his head back then looks back down at her with dancing eyes.

Hazel turns back to look at the sunrise. Why would anyone want to leave this place? Austin puts his guitar down, takes his Stetson back, and then wraps his arm around her. "Today will be a hard day, darlin'. I am responsible for the lives of my men and the wellness of my cattle...I have not gotten this far in life with a soft heart and kind words. I have placed you in a position that will ask too much of you, but you have a part to play and like my men, I expect you to play it and play it well," he says softly. "Is that your way of telling me to listen to you and not be a pain in your ass?" she asks. "Aye," he answers already serious. Hazel has no idea of what the day holds and she would be lying if she said she wasn't a little scared but she wants to prove her worth. She wants Austin to look at her with approval, she wants those cowboys to feel like she belongs and she wants Evelyn to smile at her with that sweet little sunshine smile, so even though she is petrified she will do whatever it takes.

"Get up, darlin', our day has begun," Austin says already pulling his arms away. They stand, gather their things, and walk down the hill back to the already awake camp. Evelyn walks up to them and hands them each a steaming cup of coffee. "I thought you had grown tired of us and left, Miss Hazel," Evelyn says hugging her waist. Hazel kisses the top of her head, she wants to tell her that she will never leave, that her feet are rooted to Cottenwoon as deeply as the oak trees they slept under last night - but that would be a lie. She is a liar and a fraud...but making a promise like that is beyond even her. "It's time, Evelyn," Austin says mounting Lightning and then stretching out his hand for Hazel. "Watch this head rancher go," Evelyn whispers with a giggle to Hazel then runs off to mount Zip. Hazel climbs up into Lighting and readies herself as Lightning moves forward. They round the trees and climb a hill then Hazel's mouth drops open when she sees the herd in the valley below. It's huge, she knows there are five hundred cattle but seeing it now it looks like millions. "Tell me your plan, Evelyn," Austin says. His voice is no longer soft like it was last night but now somewhat stern and hard. He is playing no games.

"We split in two, half go round the left, and the other-"

"Incorrect. Try again and this time use what I taught you."

"Um...we stay together till we get to the bottom of the hill then...split in two?"

"Nope. Get your head right, girl."

"Yes, Sir."

Hazel watches as the cogs in Evelyn's brain turn as the rest of the cowboys wait quietly next to her. She is a little annoyed with how harshly Austin is speaking to her. Why doesn't he just tell her what to do? She is only nine for goodness sake. She is about to whisper her discontent when Evelyn's face breaks into a smile.

"We go down, walk in between the herd and check for dead, weak, or sick cattle. Everyone is to meet at the back of the herd and report their finding's to me."

Hazel chances a peep over her shoulder at Austin. He is looking at Evelyn with a stern face. A small smile forms on his lips and he gives her a sharp nod. "Give your command then," he says. Evelyn's face turns just as serious as her father's and she nods back at him and then turns to look down the valley. "All to shoot!" she shouts, flicking her reins. Zip bolts forward down the hill with the rest of the cowboys following close behind. Hazel watches them fan out once they get to the herd and slow their horses to a walk as they maneuver them through the herd. Austin stays quiet and Hazel knows he is watching the herd and men carefully. When it looks like they have almost finished Austin flicks his reins and moves Lightning down the hill and through the herd to the otherside, halting Lightning and waiting for his men to join him. Hazel feels useless. Everyone has a job to do and she is just sitting tucked up between Austin's legs. How is she going to prove anything to anyone? "Let me ride with one of the other men," she says. "You ride with me," Austin says above her.

"But I am useless here. Let-"

"Hush."

Hazel wants to protest more but Austin is in no mood for her begging so she stays quiet and watches as each cowboy emerges slowly from the herd to stand quietly next to Austin.