46

Hazel wakes to her alarm blaring. 5 am. What the actual fuck. She reaches over grabs it and throws it against the wall, satisfaction spreads her lips as she hears it smash into pieces as it hits the wall. She is still in Austin's bed which means the asshole fetched it, reset it, and plugged it in here while she was sleeping. The phyco. She knows he is not behind her as he gets up at 4 am like Linda says but she does feel something heavy on her back so she turns around and sees Christmas Dinner. "Austin know you are in here?" she asks even though he is on his back with his legs in the air - dead or sleeping. "I saw dad carry him in here when he woke up," she hears Evelyn whisper from the other side of Christmas Dinner then her head pops up with a grin. "Morning, Miss Hazel," she whispers. "Happy-" she starts but Evelyn lets out a hissing shush. "Keep quiet. Or dad will hear us," she whispers. "What? He is still here?" Hazel whispers back. Evelyn nods her head. "Every year on my birthday, dad creeps into my room and then puts me in his bed. He thinks I am still sleeping, but I just pretend. It's special for him, poor guy. Anyway, he puts me here then goes downstairs, and makes me pancakes - they are the best. Then he brings them up here and wakes me up with breakfast in bed. I get a gift too," she whispers, trying to keep her excitement down. "Oh, ok. Happy birthday," Hazel whispers. "Thank you," Evelyn says with that sunshine smile of hers. Then her body goes stiff as she listens carefully. "He's coming. Pretend to be sleeping," she whispers quickly and falls back onto Austin's pillow with her eyes closed. Hazel giggles and then closes her eyes.

She hears the door swing open then some shuffling and the bedroom light is turned on. She can hear Austin walk closer and then he sings softly.

"Open your eyes my heart, and make a wish. Give it wings and let it fly. Beyond our mountain top and up into the clear blue sky.
Aim high when you wish. This is no time to retreat or hide. You make me proud, my beautiful heart."

Hazel opens her eyes and sees Evelyn sitting up as Austin smiles softly down at her. "Thank you, dad," she giggles as he leans down and kisses her cheeks. "I love you, girl. With all my heart," he says then places a tray piled high with pancakes. "Wow!" Evelyn says and shoves a pancake in her mouth. "I wuv yoo pacacs," she says with her mouth full. Austin laughs and takes the two cups of coffee from her tray. "I will let that slide only because it's your birthday...that too," he says pointing to Christmas Dinner with his head as he walks around the bed but then stops and frowns. "Is it dead?" he asks. Evelyn pokes Christmas Dinner, he suddenly comes to life kicking his legs and flipping onto his belly then looks around with a surprised gobble. "Alive then," Austin mumbles handing Hazel her coffee as she sits up. She puts out her cheek and he smiles leaning in and kissing it. "Morning, darlin'," he says then sits on the bed.

Evelyn giggles. "Are you two getting married?" she asks then shoves another pancake into her mouth as both Austin and Hazel look at her with big eyes. Shit. Shit. Austin shifts uncomfortably and then clears his throat. "Right...um..." he tries then looks at Hazel for help. She can't help him here so she just shrugs. "Um...Evelyn," he tries again, he looks like he is in pain. "We are dating," Hazel blurts out. Austin looks at her with thankful eyes then they both turn back to Evelyn. "So like boyfriend, girlfriend?" Evelyn asks. "Yeah, something like that...or that," he says then side-eyes Hazel. "You mean you have kissed her but you never asked her to be your girlfriend? Dad! What if someone else asks her first?" Evelyn complains. Hazel giggles into her coffee. "You...you would be ok with her being my girlfriend?" he asks nervously. "Obviously, hello," she says with a sassy flick of her hair. "Ok then...right...Miss Hazel...will you be my girlfriend," he says, a little flustered. Both Evelyn and Austin watch her carefully as she takes a slow sip of her coffee and then pretends to think. "Hmmm...ok I will be your girlfriend," she says eventually. "Yay!" Evelyn shouts. Austin chuckles then shakes his head and takes a sip of his coffee. Hazel feels like she is floating on a cloud.

"Gifts," Austin says and stands. "Oh wait!" Hazel says throwing off the bed covers and running to her room, grabbing Evelyn's gift then running back and climbing back into bed. "Ok, proceed," she says. Austin hands Evelyn an envelope and a small box then Hazel hands her, her gift. Evelyn looks at them and chooses the envelope first. She rips it open and then looks at the contents all confused. "A picture of the mountain and a letter?" she asks. "I got it renamed...Mount Eve and that's the deed to it. You own it now," he says. Evelyn looks at her father as tears well up in her eyes. "But you love that mountain," she sniffles. "I love you more," he says. "But you said you would never sell it," she counters. "Because it always belonged to you. It was never mine to sell," he answers. "You can visit whenever you like. You don't even have to ask. You too Hazel," she says then reaches for Hazel's gift. She rips it open then opens the lid and her face lights up as her eyes sparkle. "Oh, miss Hazel! I love them!" she squeals and climbs out of the bed. She then pulls a pair of tan-colored rhinestone cowboy boots out of the box and places them on her feet. Austin groans. Evelyn walks around the room and then twirls. "I am never taking them off!" she says. Austin groans.

Evelyn reaches for the little box Austin had given her and rips it open. She gasps when she opens it. "Oh wow!" she says then pulls out a little heart-shaped silver locket and inspects it. "I didn't put anything inside - I thought I would leave that up to you," Austin tells her. "Put it on please," Evelyn hands it to Austin then turns around, lifting her hair. Austin drapes it carefully around her neck and clasps it while Evelyn holds it up and looks at it again. She spins and wraps her arms around Austin's waist.  "Thank you, dad. I love you," she whispers.

"More than all the stars?"

"More than all the stars."

She lets go of him and then throws her arms around Hazel. "Thank you. I love my boots," she says. "You are most welcome," she whispers. Evelyn then detaches herself and grabs the envelope. "I have to show my heifers and calves my gifts!" she shouts as she runs out of Austin's room.

It's not Hazel's birthday, but it's the best one she has ever had.