Chapter 1, The Extended Night

"Y/N honey!!!!" My mother called me downstairs as I was on the phone to my friend. "I have to go...bye Alex" I hung up, "WHAT!!!" no answer, "ugh" I went downstairs as mum, Charlie and Neal waited. "What do you want?" I said with my arms crossed with a sneer. Neal warned me not to treat my mum disrespectfully. I looked at him with an angry expression on my face. "Oh, shut up, this isn't about you!" Mum got really angry at me. "You've been acting in this manner for the past week, stop now! I know it's near Christmas, but just try to be kinder."

I just rolled my eyes. 

Charlie looked up at mum "Actually Christmas is tomorrow!" Charlie excitedly said. "Y/N, we are going to dad's remember! Even though I really don't want to."

I chuckled. "Not spend time with your children on Christmas." I glared at Neal and mum. "And why do we have to go there, dad's doesn't even care about us!" 

Then, mum crossed her arms. "Your 18, you should start planning your move. Your father also adores you very much." I looked at mum with a straight face. "You got to be joking, and why does he never interact with us then?" 

Neal then looked at Charlie. "Go wait in the car Charlie..." Charlie then quickly said "Ok Neal, please don't be too long. It's really cold." Charlie skipped off. "Bye!!"

Me and mum's conversation turned into an argument. Mum then looked at me with disappointment. "Y/N, you really need to get a job-" 

I cut her off. "A JOB!!?? Mum, the next thing your going to say is probably 'well, Y/N you need to get married to a 50 year old man' And mum! I still have 7 months left in high school!" I then walked upstairs to get my bag, I put my boots on and coat. I then opened the door and sat in the car, waiting for mum and Neal.   

Me and mum didn't talk for the whole drive. 

We finally arrived after the 15 minutes awkward silenced. "We're here!" Mum awkwardly said trying to forced a smile on her face. 

To get my belongings, I slammed the car door after opening it. Neal may have said "What's her problem now?" Yet I'm still unsure. No matter what, I continued to hate him a lot. He despised me too, even though I know we haven't been close. Deep down I know I should give him a chance, but I'm not ready yet.

Dad then arrived with his car almost running someone over. "I'M HERE!!" He smiled. "Hey kids, I'm so glad your here, Y/N...uhh, how was the frog dissection?"

I looked at dad with a scowl, "That was 2 years ago!" 

Dad realised "Oh Sorry! But how was it?" 

I giggled, dad was always like this...I knew I never saw dad, but he was my favourite out of him, mum and Neal. "It was ok."

Charlie ran over to dad. "hey dad."

Dad smiled "Hiya sport'. Exited for Santa to come?"

Charlie giggled. "Don't be silly dad. He's not real! Neal told me, plus he's a doctor...so he knows everything!

Me and dad looked at Neal with a scowl on our faces, then back at Charlie. "He's not a doctor! He's a psychiatrist!" Me and dad both said. I then walked over to Neal and whispered in his ear. "I see your trying to ruin Charlie's childhood now...you'll see what will happen if you tell him that the easter bunny or somethings not real." Neal didn't speak back to me. I smirked at him walking off back to Charlie. "Nahh, he is totally real! Charlie, Neal is one of those people who don't believe in what they don't see, but you can't see air...so does that mean it's not real?" I glared at mum and Neal angrily. 

I started to go inside. "I'm gonna go unpack!" Dad looked at me. "Aren't you gonna say bye to your mother?" Dad then remembered, "...and Neal? I looked back. "No...Merry Christmas mum and Neal though!"

I went inside and looked out the window, it was obvious who the favourite was. 'Charlie' but I knew I was dad's favourite. (Daddy's Girl you can say.) Mum and Neal were hugging Charlie and Mum was smothering Charlie in kisses. I saw Charlie in his little red jumper was giggling a bit. "Mum! I-it tickles!" He managed to say laughing like mad, I smiled, I knew I wasn't the best daughter...I was like any teenaged girl, bratty you could say...I either had Fs or F-s for that matter. I have gotten a B, before...but it was quite good for me, I'm surprised they didn't throw a party for Charlie when he found out what 'despised' meant...I loved my brother more than the whole world, but I get really jealous of him, I know he's only 8. But still...I'm 10 years older than him so it's obvious I should grow up and deal with it. I'll try to be nicer I always say, but them treating Charlie like he's a prince...how the actual heck do they expect me to act if they don't treat me the same, I guess I am 18, I should grow up.

It was now time for bed, "Charlie...?" I muttered. 

"Yes Y/N?" he said in his sweet voice.

"Bedtime, dad's going to read you a book!" I said, trying to sound cheerful, carefully picking him up.

Charlie then hugged me as I picked him up. "There's not many presents under the tree." I smiled. "Because Santa hasn't came yet!" I smiled walking up the stairs. Charlie didn't say anything from there. I placed him into bed. "Dad! he's ready." 

Dad came up and smiled. "Thank you Y/N."

"No problem dad, can I make a phone call quick?"

Dad turned around while tucking Charlie into bed. "Yes."

I picked up the book Charlie wanted. "Thanks..." I said giving dad the book. "...Wait! where's the phone?" 

"Near the tree." 

I kissed Charlie on the forehead and walked downstairs.

I picked up the phone and called Daniel (My current boyfriend) he took awhile to answer. then he finally picked up after a few minutes. "hey, what took so long?" I didn't hear Daniel's voice, I heard a girl's voice. "Oh, I'm sorry, you must be Y/N?" I thought it was his sister. "Yes, yes It is...you must be his sister?"  The girl giggled a bit. "no...I'm his girlfriend-?" I closed the phone and went upstairs trying to hold back the tears. On Christmas eve to!? Why does this always happen to me? 

I heard dad turn off the lights so I went to Charlie's room, forcing a smile, "hey buddy." 

He looked back. "Hello Y/N, what's wrong?"

"Nothing, wanna get a sneaky hot chocolate?"

He smiled "Yes!"

Sneaky hot chocolate on Christmas Eve for an 8 year old? Fun of course!