Diamond Revolution

AUDREY

I had not seen Cohen for a month. He'd taken a leave of absence from work. I had no idea if he was at home or had gone away somewhere. I had been tempted to ask Gerald if he knew where Cohen was, or how he was going. But he had respected my request to stay away from me, so I needed to give him the same courtesy and give him space.

The reporters had gone, and there was no longer regular scandal updates online, claiming ridiculous things Cohen had apparently done. I would have laughed at some of the headlines, except it was someone's life they were ruining.

"Earth to Audrey!"

"Huh?"

I shook my head to clear it.

"Honey, you've been staring out that window for 5 minutes while I've been blabbing on. I don't think you blinked once. Where did you go?"

"Sorry Jem. I'm just tired."

"Still not sleeping then?"

I shrugged.

"Not enough."

"I've been telling you all about my date with De'Laney, and now I have to start all over again. We need to get you out of this funk you're in. I want my bestie back!"

"Sorry Jem, I'm trying..."

"Well, it's not good enough! It's the weekend. Get dressed! We're going out baby!"

"Out? Where?"

"Leave it to me. Just go and find something to wear in that closet of yours. Think sexy. It's time to party that bad mood away."

I sighed, then headed into my room before Jemima started shoving me. Once Jem had an idea in her head, she was unstoppable. There was no point arguing with her when she was like this.

I tried on a few dresses, before settling on one. I checked myself out it the mirror.

The blush pink ribbed dress hugged my figure. I'd bought it on one of my recent shopping trips in an attempt to lift my mood, but hadn't worn it yet. There was a crop top that showed off a glimpse of underboob and my small midriff, then the pencil skirt that stopped just below my knees.

It was sexy and should have made me feel like a million dollars, but I just couldn't get my head in the game.

Jem came up behind me as I studied my body in the mirror.

"Jesus Aud! Check those puppies out!"

In true Jemima style, she grabbed a handful and squeezed. There was no personal boundaries when it came to my best friend.

I turned around and wacked her playfully.

"Too much?"

"Just enough! Now move over so I can find something in here for me!"

Jemima pulled dress after dress out and threw it on my bed. After 10 minutes of trying things on she finally chose one. The red sequined number with a very low V clung to her like she'd been poured into it.

"Good?"

"It shows off your curves perfectly."

"Excellent. Let's get our hair and makeup sorted before the taxi arrives."

30 minutes later and we were heading out the front door.

"So are you going to tell me where we're going now?"

"Relax girl! You aren't letting those girls out for no good reason, I promise!"

She pointed at ny chest and winked,  but refused to tell me any more details. The taxi finally stopped. I looked out my window and saw a neon sign.