Fresh air and freakouts

AUDREY

It's Adventure ED day, and we are all meeting at the school. It's way too early, and the sun is only just coming up, so it's still chilly. I'm already longing to be snuggled up in bed.

A women I vaguely recognise drops her bag down next to me.

"This is a different way to wake yourself up in the morning. I'm freezing my butt off here!"

"Yeah. I much prefer coffee. Inside. Under a blanket. Many hours after 5am!"

She laughed.

"I'm Natasha Cameron. I can tell we are going to get on just fine!"

"Nice to meet you Natasha. I'm Audrey Jeans."

"Ah, so you're Audrey. Gerald Freeman told me you'd signed up after Pete broke his leg."

"Yes. I'm by no means a camping expert but I thought I'd give it a go. Get out of the classroom and into the fresh, freezing air."

I was almost hopping from one foot to the other, trying to get warm. I shivered as another icy gust of wind hit me. Natasha laughed and pulled her coat tighter around her.

"Well, it's nice to have another lady on board. Tanya and I have been outnumbered for the last two years."

Natasha turned and waved over a slightly older lady, who came over to talk.

"Tanya, this is Audrey Jeans."

"Hi Audrey, ready for this?"

I shrugged.

"I guess we'll find out soon enough!"

We grinned at each other. I was less nervous knowing these ladies had been on the Adventure ED camp before and survived.

There was some shuffling of papers from Jeff, another parent supervisor, as he moved next to the door of the bus.

"Listen up everyone! I'm going to be calling your names off our list, and I want you to come forward and find a seat on the bus when you hear yours. Evan, hands to yourself please!"

There was mumbling in the crowd of students. Thankfully they seemed to still be too sleepy to talk back.

One at a time, they made their way up the steps. I was keen to get out of the wind too. I'd packed my winter coat, but it was deep in the bottom of my bag, which was already tucked away in the luggage compartment.

Finally all the kids were accounted for, and I could escape the warm and take my seat next to Natasha near the back of the bus. Jeff and Jeremy, another parent supervisor, sat closer to the front.

Jeff stood up and cleared his throat.

"Now guys, we are just waiting for..."

"Sorry, I'm here!"

A dishevelled looking Mr Thompson walked up the steps, looking a little like he'd just rolled out of bed. Natasha leaned over to me.

"Good lord almighty! Who is that fine specimen of a man?"

She was right in her observation. Surely it was illegal to look that good just after 5am?

"That's the new sports teacher, Cohen Thompson."

"Oh my. He's nice on the eyes."

"Don't let him hear you say that. He's already got a big enough head. Walks around like he's gods gift to mankind."

Natasha turned to me.

"So you're not a fan then?"

"He's an arsehole. An alright looking one, but an arsehole, nonetheless."